Napoleon, Harman, Leisure Line or ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TM88

Oct 14, 2010
NH
I could really use some help with my stove decision. I'm looking for an economical pellet stove for an uninsulated 650 sq ft barn (in NH) that will be used occasionally in the fall/winter seasons. I had decided on the Napoleon NPS40 but then read about a lot of problems (and had one dealer mention that they had QC problems during the gas/oil price spike back in 2008) so now I'm wavering again. The other contenders were the Leisure Line Pioneer LE (rice coal fuel) or the Harman P38. I'll throw it open to any and all advice or experiences. Thanks. One more thing - does anyone know if Napoleon stamps the manufacture date on the back or do you have to decipher it from the S/N?

I'm not familiar with the Napoleon or the Leisure LIne, but the P38 is a tank. It lacks some bells and whistles that many find desirable, but once its going, it goes. Cleans up easy and is very tolerant of being ignored for a bit. theres my 2 cents.

Lots of stoves had issue's during the rush. They couldn't make them fast enough. Shipped what they could quickly. That's all settled now.

I checked out the Napoleon NPS45 and really liked them. I would spend just a wee bit more over the NPS40. The NPS45 has lots of worth while features added to it. Cheapier than the Harman and packed with nice options. Heck of a stove for the money. As far as I know yes Napoleon has a born on date on the serial plate.

You will pay a bit more for the Harman over the Napoleon. But there tanks as Delta said. Onll issue I have seen is igniter issue's, But I think there resolved. The P38 doesn't use the igniter anyway. Good stoves but you'll pay for them.

No comment on the Liesure line. Haven't seen any of them.

IF you are keeping it in a barn, I'd go with something that has stainless heat exchangers...cause you are going to get rust in the summer months if the barn isn't air tight. Harman does not use a tubed heat exchanger so perhaps that will work out. Personally, I'd get a cheap old Englander from the depot or used from craigslist.

smwilliamson said:
.......I'd get a cheap old Englander from the depot or used from craigslist.

x2

However, heating an UNINSULATED BARN will be like heating a house with the doors all wide open, IMO.....not easy to do.

Also, what is in the barn? Anything flammable?

Status
Not open for further replies.