Napoleon NPI40 not igniting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondoggie

Nov 29, 2012
Southern NH
I have a Napoleon NPI40 that won't light... Stove runs fine if I manually light the pellets with a torch.

So, replace the igniter, right? From what I read there is a 120F sensor that tells the igniter when to fire which, if it fails, could run the igniter all the time and burn it out... Is there any way to test if that sensor has gone bad, or should I just order one to be safe? I'd hate to put in a new igniter and burn it up immediately. (Or am I looking at this backwards, and the switch could fail such that it never lets the igniter fire?)

More than likely, just a bad igniter. You can do an ohm check on the igniter in the stove, disconnect connectors, (with power off) Ohmmeter will read about 35-40 ohms if igniter is good. If igniter is open, (burned out and has an open element inside) then Ohmmeter will ready infinity (open circuit). Good luck, igniter should cost about 120-150 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.