Napoleon nps40 fan not blowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesselee

Sep 3, 2008
Maine
Hello, we have a Napoleon nps40 and the fan or blower that blows the hot air from the front has stopped working. It overheated earlier and shut down. Since then the pellets come down fine and they are burning well but it's not blowing out properly. Do you know what it could be or what we should do for troubleshooting?

Jesselee said:
Hello, we have a Napoleon nps40 and the fan or blower that blows the hot air from the front has stopped working. It overheated earlier and shut down. Since then the pellets come down fine and they are burning well but it's not blowing out properly. Do you know what it could be or what we should do for troubleshooting?

Well if the convection blower (the one that blows air out the front) hasn't been damaged you could clean and oil it (provided it has oil ports).

Jesselee said:
Thanks for the reply Smokey! Do you know if there is a way to test the combustion fan or how to access it?

Don't you mean convection fan???

Check the installation manual for the stove, they usually have an exploded parts diagram.

If the blower is dirty you'll know it on sight, as for a means to test it the only way I know of is with a patch cord. What follows is dangerous if you are not familiar with electrical wiring do not do this You first have to have the stove off, cold, and unplugged, then disconnect the power leads that go to the convection fan, connect the patch cord to the power leads to the convection blower, then you plug the patch cord into a wall outlet. The blower should very quickly get to full speed. Reverse what you did to get to this point.

Yes your right convection fan sorry I have pregnancy brain. My husband took the sides off the stove off and vacumed things out a bit. The convection fan spins slowly but we don't feel air blowing out of the front. Frustrating.

What heat range is the stove on? The fan usually blows slow on the low heat range.

ETA: Did hubby check for oil ports? If they are there that blower really needs to be oiled (this is an every six month requirement on a lot of blowers, 3 and 1 oil from a blue and white can SAE#20 non detergent).

I thought I'd follow up on this post just in case anyone else has this problem. I called my local pellet stove shop and they came over to check the stove up. It was the convection blower, it had stopped working. They replaced blower and gasket and also gave my stove a much needed cleaning. It is running wonderfully now, better than when we first got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.