Napoleon NPS40 flame question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgenks

Oct 3, 2016
Townsend,MA
Good evening everyone, apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'm new to the pellet stove community.

This past weekend I cleaned the stove, and had to replace ignitor, low limit, and ignition switch, as well as convection motor gasket.

Started stove, and pellets lit, but flame made some.god awful black soot on the inside of the burn chamber, all over the back wall and partially on the glass. Is this fairly normal for initial light?

Another point I should add, is we just bought the house and stove came with. That being said, the whole summer it was for sale and we purchased in June. That whole time the hopper was full of pellets. And I mean completely full. Wondering if the pellets picked up moisture from sitting in a humid house for so long.

Should I remove pellets and start from scratch?

Also anyone with this stove find a pellet that works the best for this stove? I have 8 bags remaining from the previous owner but will be buying pellets for the upcoming winter(late i know) current pellets are Vermont pellets. But have been sitting in the basement(which is humid) but up on a pallet.

Any I put would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

~Steve

5349180270af5c148b940cbbde28071a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How old is the stove? Heavy use in the past? Light use?

Check all of the gaskets. The fiber rope on the access door (dollar bill test), the pellet hopper gasket, any others that can be found. A poor flame / poor burn can certainly be attributed to incorrect fuel / air mixture.

Do a deep clean on the stove. 'm not familiar with the nooks and crannies specific to this stove, but I'm sure someone here on the forum is.

As for the pellets, I'd just burn what's in there and what you have in the basement during the early heating season. If there is extra moisture it will not hurt the stove, you just won't get maximum heat from them, they may burn a bit poorly. You'll transition to this years product soon enough.

And oh yeah...welcome to the forum. Use the search bar to find other posts about Napoleons, other tips and tricks.

You're right, I didn't list that specifically. But I did say "deep clean", so that must count for something?

So Saturday I did a deep clean on the whole machine, all flue piping was cleaned and vac'd, fire box was cleaned ect. It seemed to be the worse on initial light as only a small amount of fuel had lit and the flame was very tall. I wish I had taken a picture of it when it was happening.

Did you open the little exhaust ports in the fire box (both sides, towards the front at the bottom) and brush & vacuum out these exhaust pathways? Some use a bottle brush, some use a dryer vent brush to remove fly ash in these passages. I have the micro tool attachment for my shop vac (cold stove and drywall filter) so I can add a length of hose to snake into those exhaust cavities (after I brush). Did you pull the exhaust blower, carefully clean (don't bend the blades!) and replace gasket (you will need a new one so get that first)? Section 9 of the manual...
http://www.homeandhearth-mainst.com/NPS40_NPI40.pdf

Check the door gasket ... dollar bill test? Piece of paper or dollar bill closed into the door. If you can pull it out easily, you need to replace that gasket.

I pulled the motor and cleaned and Replaced gasket in the exhaust blower. I haven't done the door test. So that might actually be an issue, I'll have to check that when I get home. If so I'll order a new door gasket.

Did you open the little exhaust ports in the fire box (both sides, towards the front at the bottom) and brush & vacuum out these exhaust pathways? Some use a bottle brush, some use a dryer vent brush to remove fly ash in these passages. I have the micro tool attachment for my shop vac (cold stove and drywall filter) so I can add a length of hose to snake into those exhaust cavities (after I brush). Did you pull the exhaust blower, carefully clean (don't bend the blades!) and replace gasket (you will need a new one so get that first)? Section 9 of the manual...
http://www.homeandhearth-mainst.com/NPS40_NPI40.pdf

Check the door gasket ... dollar bill test? Piece of paper or dollar bill closed into the door. If you can pull it out easily, you need to replace that gasket.
Do you happen to know of an upgrade kit available for putting remote thermostat on these stoves, I have seen some options, and I know I can do it with relays ect but it's an 8yr old stove and I don't feel like Frankensteining the stove just yet

Status
Not open for further replies.