Napoleon NPS40 power issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eschills

Aug 9, 2008
Long Island NY
My NPS40 tripped the surge protector while running and obviously turned off. When I reset the surge protector it trips right away. I tried unplugging, resetting the surge protector, and plugging it back in, but it trips it immediately. When I plugged it directly into a wall socket the exhaust fan starts to run right away. I left it unplugged all day to see if it would change anything, but it still starts the exhaust fan as soon as I plug it in. Any ideas what is causing this?

My NPS40 tripped the surge protector while running and obviously turned off. When I reset the surge protector it trips right away. I tried unplugging, resetting the surge protector, and plugging it back in, but it trips it immediately. When I plugged it directly into a wall socket the exhaust fan starts to run right away. I left it unplugged all day to see if it would change anything, but it still starts the exhaust fan as soon as I plug it in. Any ideas what is causing this?
Sounds like the exhaust temp switch is bad. Unplug one of the brown wires, if exhaust fan shuts off, get new limit switch. Stove needs to be cool to do this test.

i have only worked on a handful of the nps40 but I believe the exhaust sensor should only come into play once off of start up.
have you reset the manual high limit switch yet?
. W660-0055-2T.jpg

Many surge protectors do not trip.
We recommend the Tripp Lite Ultrablok.
What are you using?

I'd start isolating loads from the stove, the ignitor is where I'd start. Unplug it first, then the motors etc. The Nps 40 is a rheostat setup if memory serves, I've seen ignitors cause the unit to shut off cbreaker.
By isolating individual loads, you can see if its a load, or the power wiring harness. Good luck with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.