Napoleon or Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.O

Sep 13, 2016
Ferndale, WA
Hello all,

First time wood stove buyer here and want some advice from the pros on a couple stoves I'm considering.

I want a smaller stove to heat the main living area of my house.
After days of research, I found two stoves I like.

Blaze King Sirocco 20
Napoleon 1100c

I'm impressed by the advertised burn times and efficiency ratings on the BK and I got a quote of about $2400 for it at a store in Canada (about $1900 USD)

I found a brand new Napoleon 1100c in brown enamel for $1500 locally on Craigslist.

Is the BK worth the extra $400? I like how the Napoleon looks but I'd I don't want to put my money into a worthless stove that looks good.

Anybody have experience with these stoves?

Thanks in advance

The BK is in a league of its own compared to the Napoleon. I'd go with the BK for sure if I planned to heat with it full time. The burn times are unparalleled.

Get a price for the 30 series version of that BK too. For the additional couple of bucks you get 50% longer burn time and a lower possible burn rate which means you can actually make less heat with the larger stove for a longer time. All good! The only reason I can see to get the 20 size stove is to save a couple of dollars and a couple of inches of physical size.

Do you intend to burn this stove primarily for heat or for ambiance?

Funny thing is that what you get with a smaller physical size is lost with greater clearance to combustibles, vs the 30 series.

BK gets pretty consistently good reviews on this forum, which is a significant thing considering how many users there are and the extent of the knowledge pool here. I've never used a BK so I can't really comment. But two years ago we installed a Napoleon 1400 pedestal model in our home as our primary source of heat and have been quite happy with it. It was given to us so I never really had any choice and I don't have enough experience with other stoves to make comparisons. But the 1400 firebox is quite large, allowing for EW and NS loading. A full box of dry hardwood at bedtime leaves us with a very hot bed of coals in the morning that will light right back up with a couple smaller pieces. Napoleon stoves are not luxury stoves by most standards but probably fit well in the "workhorse" category and are quite reliable. For being a relatively inexpensive stove I think ours looks very nice!

Reactions: iceman2424
Status
Not open for further replies.