napoleon stove warranty conditions and limitations, self-install, non-authorized dealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkclements

Aug 16, 2008
Northern NY
Somewhat related to the other thread on "install your own stove".

reading the fine print of the warranty for the 1400P:

NAPOLEON® warrants its products against manufacturing defects to the original purchaser only -- i.e., the individual or legal entity
(registered customer) whose name appears on the warranty registration card filed with NAPOLEON® -- provided that the purchase
was made through an authorized NAPOLEON® dealer

and

The wood fireplace must be installed by an authorized service technician or contractor.

So does this mean that if I self-install, even if it passes code enforcement inspection, they still won't honor the warranty?

Has anyone run into this problem with a manufacturer?

And regarding "authorized dealer only", do they really stick to that?

I have a non-authorized dealer with a good price, he says he buys from "authorized distributors" and that he will take care of warranty issues (for as long as he's around).

Naturally he's not local.

I called my local dealer. Well I should say, I called him every day for 4 days (left a message the first 3 days), finally got a person to answer the phone.

Anyway, the local dealer sells at list price (I guess that's ok), but what bugs me is lack of response for 4 days, and then he tried to upsell me to a model 1900 (I have a 1400 sq ft house). Crazy!

So, does anyone have experience having their warranty not honored due to self-install or non-authorized dealer purchase?

And if it's not broke "out of the box" and works for the first few months, what can go wrong down the road other than normal and expected wear that any dealer should be able to order the parts for?

Status
Not open for further replies.