Napoleon Timberwolf 2201 versus Quadrafire 2700 inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stovesearch101

Dec 16, 2010
MO
I am torn between the two above inserts.
I like the size of the Timberwolf more than the Quadrafire, but have some concerns with primary and secondary air on the Timberwolf (they are fixed) with a draft adjustment above the door. The Quadrafire has the ACC system, which is a good method of draft to start a fire.

The real issue is I have a Martin fireplace in the base level of a 2.5 story home. When I light the fireplace I have to open a door due to negative air. I am concerned the Timberwolf will have problems getting fires started, and I will have problems regulating draft.

I am convinced the Quadrafire is a good product, but it has a smaller firebox and would cost me more.

Anybody have any experience with the Napoleon Timberwolf?

Also, any problems with taking the refractory out of the existing fireplace when installing an insert?

I grew up with an Ashley wood stove so the new technology is perplexing.

Thanks,

Randy

I don't know if you won't still have the downdraft with any insert if it really cools off. That's the way it is with my Quad 2700i. Once it's warm in the slightest, no problem. So, if you're keeping it warm throughout the winter with some kind of fire, or even just warm embers, the draft will keep going the right direction. When it's cold, and the air is flowing down, I crack open a window and light some newspaper to get the air flowing up.

What makes you think the Timberwolf primary air is "fixed"? That thing over the door on the right is the primary air control. Nothing to do with draft.

Thanks for the replys.

Are you happy with the Quadrafire 2700i?

In terms of the primary air, yes I know the Timberwolf has an adjustment on the top right (so does Quadrafire). The Timberwolf also has two fixed holes at the bottom, in contrast the Quadrafire has the ACC system, to let in additional air as you are trying to build a fire.

My concern with the Timberwolf is you would have to keep the door open (stove door) and maybe an outside door due to the crazy amount of negative draft I have in the house.

I think I have decided to go with the Quadrafire. The firebox is smaller, but it seems like it has been on the market longer, and hopefully the ACC system will be better at building a fire. I don't plan to burn this all the time, mostly weekends only.

My A number one concern is preventing the downdraft when I am not using the stove. It is difficult to seal off.

Any thoughts are welcome.

My experience is that unless you have some partially-burned, stinky wood in there, a little air coming into the room via the stove i not going to be much of a problem, from an energy loss or stink perspective. As far as I know, the ACC is just a timer that shuts off the startup air after a while. My earlier 2700i has a manual system for that. My pet peeve about the unit is the fire bricks Quadrafire, which insulate well, I guess, but don't last. I replaced mine with ordinary fire bricks after a while.

As I said, I think you're going to have to deal with this cold-start downdraft issue no matter which stove you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.