1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Narragansett Pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bilder, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilder

bilder New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern,ma.
    I tried Narragansett brand pellets this year in my Enviro Empress stove with excellent results. Very little ash and very hot burn. They are an 80/20 hardwood/softwood blend made in Rumford R.I. The previous 2 years I tried the L.G. brand(absolutely terrible-no heat with lots of ash) Pinnacle ,Beaver Creek,none compare to the heat and clean burn of the Narragansett pellets. A tip for Empress stove owners: When you clean the burn pot out try placing a small handful of pellets in it to pre-load it before you start the stove. This gets the stove to fire sooner and slows down the buildup in the burn pot.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    do you work for narragansett pellets?
  3. bilder

bilder New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern,ma.
    No I do not work for Narragansett Pellets. I posted the message because I spent a significant amount of money on 4 tons of L.G. brand pellets last year and had nothing but problems with them.A friend of mine with an Empress stove had the same issues with the 3 tons of L.G's he purchased. I was hoping to save someone else from the same fate. I thought that the idea behind this forum was to share info to help out our fellow pellet stove owners?
  4. Souzafone

Souzafone Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Freetown, Massachusetts
    Where and how much?
  5. CygnusX1

CygnusX1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    Thanks for the tip. I've seen the Narragansett pellets around, but haven't tried them yet. I was waiting for someone to write something about them.

I'll try a few bags and see how they do.
  6. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Narraganset? I thought that was beer. lol.....do they have the aroma of hops. lol. Will it go with my Jack?
  7. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Narragansett? Have not seen them around here. Would try them if I come across them though, How much are they?
  8. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    Thanks for the tip. I have not tried them out as they are fairly new
    to the pellet market and they seem to be more expensive than other
    well known brands that are available in my area.
    If their prices become more competitive with the other brands, I might
    try a few bags out.
  9. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT

everyone of your post brought up Narragansett pelletes. I have burned them as well and was not quite as impressed with them as you where. so i was just wondering if you maybe giving us an unbiased report or not.
  10. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    When I first fired up my stove this year (Thanksgiving) I bought 3 bags of Narragansett's and 3 bags of New England's. The 'Gansett's were a little cheaper. Around $220/ton vs. $245/ton.

They burned fine but seemed to have a little more ash than the NEWP. They may have been a little hotter. I went with the NEWP based on what everyone else was saying about them at the time. I've been real happy with the New England's. Mine come from the Jaffery, NH plant and I think they are all hardwood. Last price was $265/ton. See them for $279 lately.

I would be willing to try the 'Gansett's again when the opportunity arrives.

----Nailer---
  11. jezbo33

jezbo33 Member

Loc:
    quincy, ma
    I have a empress insert, burned Barefoot pellets with the first ton. I bought a ton of new england and am not to happy. no heat and to much ash and build up in the burn pot. any sugestions to get a leaner burn. stove is on high going through about 2 bags a day. Need some advice on the enviro and possibly a good pellet.
  12. sparkydog00

sparkydog00 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. Central Mass
    Kinda high for NE Premiums I think.
    The gas station down the street is selling them for 249 a ton.
    I got them cheaper than that in October.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.