Narrowing it down, help me choose the size? T5 or T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WildOlive

Jun 14, 2011
northern NY
After visiting a couple local dealers, I think I've settled on the Alderlea line of stoves, but I need to figure out if we want to go w/ the T5 or T6. In the time since I last posted looking for advice, we are still in our 3000 sq. ft. farm house, but we have put in all new windows, blown cellulose insulation down the first floor walls, and spray foamed the upstairs walls. Our house is now unbelievably quiet! I think it will make a huge difference in our heating this winter.

The dealer heard 3000 sq ft farmhouse and immediately said we need the T6. However, the stove will not be centrally located, it will be on the far north west corner, in the family room/kitchen, which is where we hang out 95% of the time. The down stairs has 4 other rooms, but two of those will be closed off, and the other two are part of a very open floor plan. All the bedrooms will be upstairs. I am worried about putting in too big a stove and roasting us in the family room. We will still have the oil furnace, and the plan is still to use that at night (we will see if this changes once my husband gets more comfortable with burning wood again).

Also, do I want the optional blower? It seems I would.

In my mind and with your climate it's a no brainer go for the T6. If your worried about to much heat with the T6 I don't think it will be a problem in fact I think you would have to run the T5 harder than you want in the middle of the winter. When I was burning this spring I was putting about 2/3 a load in the stove at night and easily obtaining 8-10 hour burns.

Both stoves will work Olive. As noted, you will be pushing the T5 harder in the dead of winter, but if the goal is to use it as an area heater and not to try and heat the whole house, it will work well. On the other hand, if you choose the T6 it won't cook you out of the place as long as you burn partial loads until it gets below freezing outside. The T6 will burn happily on 4-5 medium splits and because it's a convection stove you don't get extremes of heat from it. We're burning the T6 in a milder climate, and in a smaller house without a problem. In fall or spring, if the area is warmed up, don't refill the stove.

Personally, I would get the T6. If you make a mistake (and we all do!) and build too large a fire for the weather conditions, just open up a window for a little bit or open up the closed off rooms. The most important thing is to have the stove installed correctly and safely. Same thing with the flue system. The next most important thing is to have several cords of seasoned, dry wood already stacked. Most of the problems we will be hearing of in about a month or so will be due to folks burning partially seasoned wood.

My vote is for the T6 and don't look back!

Good luck,
Bill

Follow link in signature for T6 installed in a kitchen/living area. ~ 3300 sq ft with a lot of glass. We added the blower after the first season and it helps, especially with managing the heat with different size loads of wood. You can sit quite close to the stove and not be toasted so it is fine in a living area. If hearth space allows go with the larger unit. Also depending on your existing type of heat, zoned and non zoned and airflow between rooms in the home etc may also play into the decision.

Pictures of the rooms and hearth may help get more comments

There is no reason not to get the larger T6. Only a slightly higher initial purchase price. For that slight upgrade cost you get a much larger firebox which will make it easier to load and use the stove, as well as the ability to use the stove to make lots of heat.

Absolutely, get the t6.

Thanks for the help. I guess I was concerned that the dealer could be just trying to sell me a larger stove b/c he has a vested interest in selling the biggest stove.

There is no hearth at all, as yet, b/c we have never had a woodstove. I could post a photo of where it will be going, if that would be helpful.

I would go for the T6 with a blower. If there is ever a question between too big or too small I would go with the larger size, because you can always burn it properly by adding less wood and burning it hotter when you don't need the full heating capacity. The blower not only increases it's heating capacity, which you may or may not need, but heats a cold area quicker and makes the stove more efficient at transferring heat from the fire into the room rather than up the chimney.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
I would go for the T6 with a blower. If there is ever a question between too big or too small I would go with the larger size, because you can always burn it properly by adding less wood and burning it hotter when you don't need the full heating capacity. The blower not only increases it's heating capacity, which you may or may not need, but heats a cold area quicker and makes the stove more efficient at transferring heat from the fire into the room rather than up the chimney.

+1 Go Bigger, you honestly wont regret it!

Hi again,
Just to update, we ended up going with the T5, after a few woodburning friends came over and assessed our space. Hopefully we won't regret not getting the T6. They are coming today to finish up the chimney. My friend was able to build a nice hearth out of our leftover bathroom tiles. It looks great, and the kids have helped me stack 2 cords of wood with 8 more on the way. They are just as excited as I am. My 10 yr old says stacking wood is "like art". :) I tend to agree. Also, there is something meditative about it. My husband just rolls his eyes and laughs, and is happy he doesn't have to do any of the work ;)

Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats on the new stove, I think you made a good choice. One other thing to consider about stove size is how it looks in the room. The T-6 is a very big boxy stove and can look out of place in a smaller room.

I hope it works out for ya, I bought the Summit for my 2800 sq ft or so and it is well insulated (lots of south glass though) and would not have wanted any thing smaller. My house is very open so hard to get it too hot in any one area.

Congratulations. Take lots of pictures of the stove, hearth and the wood stacks too. We'd love to see what you are doing. Stacking is an art form and some stacks are extraordinary. Show this site to your 10 yr old for some inspiration:

http://www.alastairheseltine.com/index.htm

Wait until you start burning, that's an art too.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 189
Shoulda got the T6
Hope the 5 works out for you.

Hogwildz said:
Shoulda got the T6
+ 2 Hopefully your wood burning friends have had experience with the T5 that you purchased (doubt). If it is not too late in the design/build of the hearth I would seriously suggest upsizing. At the least get the blower.

madison said:
Hogwildz said:
Shoulda got the T6
+ 2 Hopefully your wood burning friends have had experience with the T5 that you purchased (doubt). If it is not too late in the design/build of the hearth I would seriously suggest upsizing. At the least get the blower.

+3 Definitely agree with a large home like that in a cold climate.. Even the T-6 might struggle with 3,000 sq. ft..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.