Narrowing it Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smilinjack

Dec 17, 2010
New Jersey
Greetings,
I am intent on buying a wood stove for My new home.
But as You could imagine, My head is now spinning.
I'm well aware of habitual complainers and realize You can't pleae everyone.
So with that said, Could any of You guys maybe tell what You would consider manufacturers to stay away from?

Thanks,
Jack

I think you'll find that most folks here will say just about every stove manufacturer out there makes a good stove . . . quite honestly there are only a few stove brands I would be leery of . . . stoves that don't have a long history of making stoves and one other stove company that is well known, but had issues in the past with quality control, expensive parts and honoring warrantees . . . that said, to be fair this was the case when I was looking at stoves three years ago . . . and things may have changed . . . to be quite honest I haven't heard many negative opinions about this company's stoves in fact for some time.

What brands have you taken a look at so far?

Thank You,
Well initially I was looking a Vermont Castings. I like the top Load feature on the "Defiant".
Then Woodstone and Jotul.
Most of the posts involve Quality Control problems.

Hi Jack, Where in NJ are you? Im in Bedminster. Have you used a stove before?

smilinjack said:
Thank You,
Well initially I was looking a Vermont Castings. I like the top Load feature on the "Defiant".
If you per chance like the look of soapstone definitely take a look at the Woodstock line...from what I've gleaned from folks Woodstock's customer service is very good (if you were to need some help or whatever) and there are lots of satisfied customers. Having said that, every manufacturer is going to mess up all along...I recall reading that the VC line had some issues in recent years...not sure about there current production, folks are still buyin'em.
:)
Nice looking stove, that Defiant!

Best wishes,
Ed

Welcome to the Forum.

smilinjack said:
Thank You,

Woodstone huh? Is that a combination of Woodstock (which makes soapstone stoves) and Hearthstone (which also makes soapstone stoves)? ;)

Of the brands you've mentioned so far I would lean towards (in no particular order) Jotul, Hearthstone and Woodstock.

VC . . . well . . . let's just say they were a great company and may in fact be a great company, but I'm taking a wait and watch approach to them right now . . . based albeit only on folks' past experiences with them . . . not my own experiences.

Welcome to the forum smilinjack. You are amongst friends here.

Jake, of those, I'd recommend Woodstock and Jotul, in that order.

When you make your decision, take a good hard look at the guarantee you will get if you buy from Woodstock! None others will match that for sure. Also keep in mind the excellent customer service they provide and no high pressure sales job. Give them a call or look on their web page: Click here for their web page

Good luck.

Everyone's advice is much appriciated!
Any thoughts on these reviews?:
http://www.wiseheat.com/reviews/770/Jotul-F-400-Castine
http://www.wiseheat.com/wood-stoves/Hearthstone_Bennington

Thanks,
Jack

smilinjack said:
Everyone's advice is much appriciated!
Any thoughts on these reviews?:
http://www.wiseheat.com/reviews/770/Jotul-F-400-Castine
http://www.wiseheat.com/wood-stoves/Hearthstone_Bennington

Thanks,
Jack

There is a learning curve to every new woodstove. Most people prefer to write negative reviews online rather then resolve the issue. If you are having a draft problem with any stove it is rarely the stoves fault. Wood, chimney, and operator play a role in that........not so much the stove. This forum is the place to be IMHO. If you find a few stoves you like ask away and you will get real world feedback.

BrotherBart said:
Welcome to the Forum.

That looks very "Googley", BB.

A lot of folks are happy with the Lopi line up and Castines are quite popular . . .

There is a woodstove ratings section here as well . . . if you find a stove that fits your needs you can do a search there and read through the reviews.

Thanks to all Who helped!!! I'm buying a:
VC "Defiant".
Despite the Rumors, Inuendos and such I have found almost no bad press on these units, coupled with folks
I know that own them. Plus it's a top loader!

Happy Holidays,
Jack

Is it the new "2-in-1" model? Keep us posted on how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.