Nasty Black Chunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg711

May 1, 2008
southern ct
I have some black chunks of unburnt wood left in my firebox after an overnight fire - Before damping the air down for the overnight burn I make sure that my insert has been burning hot for a half hour and lower the air volume in 2 steps ( 15min full 15 min 1/2) with the fan off and all the wood that I can see has been charred or is already burning red hot.
The stove dealer told me that I should have to clean ashes out once or twice a week - but I have to clean out every other day - and that is leaving 2-3 inches of ash / unburnt stuff for the next load.
What am I doing wrong ???

I always have some unburnt pieces that were smothered by the ashes if you save them for the next load they act as kindling to get the fire back up and running.
No Worries

You may also be shutting down the primary air a little too much. Not all stoves can be cranked down to the bare minimum and maintain complete combustion of the wood. Open the air just a little more and see if this corrects the problem. Obviously stay within the normal operating temps of the stove.

Hope this helps.

black chunks = real chunk charcoal save them and use in BBQ grill or leave them in the stove for the next burn.

I just leave them in the stove for the next burn. There's still BTU's in them!

funny - i used to clean out my insert completely between fires (small box) however this year i've found that if i leave the charcoals the fire lights up quicker - they work awesome

also i find that when i use seasoned wood (two year old oak) and i don't reload too often i get a lot less unburnt coals but rather more very fine ash

Ash seems to burn down a bit too if left in the stove. Maybe it just compacts... *shrug*

Matt

i like having them left in there because all i do the next morning is throw a log on top and blow on it vigorusly with some bellows. it fires right up every time, i havent had to relite the fire with anything but air in like a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.