Nat gas prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trafick

Dec 12, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
Hey All,
I know it's not burning season yet BUT I just looked at my gas price and for the months of AUG, SEP and OCT we are paying $1.0173 per therm. That's the lowest it's been in years. We get readjusted every 3 months but it usually only goes up by $.10 or so for the big three (NOV, DEC and JAN). What's everybody else paying?

What are your "charges" and "fees" like? Those add up to at least 1/3 of my bill these days.

I'm trying to work this out in my head.

You guys pay $1.0173 per therm

We pay $0.0113 per Megajoule (MJ)

AUS $1 = US $1.05

1mj = 0.00947 therm

That does not make much sense to me, it seems you are getting ripped, but surly that can't be right?

Is this NG or Propane you are talking about?

Is my converstion from MJ to Therm correct (I've never heard of a therm before, just googled it)

100,000 btu = therm, 105.5 megajoules = 100,000 btu or 1 therm, so at .0113 per MJ x 105.5MJ per therm = $1.19 per therm AUS. Convert that to US dollars, $1.19 x $1.05 and I think we're at $1.25US per therm. I think that's how it goes but I'm not sure. Anywho it's cheaper than it's been in years.

trafick said:
100,000 btu = therm, 105.5 megajoules = 100,000 btu or 1 therm, so at .0113 per MJ x 105.5MJ per therm = $1.19 per therm AUS. Convert that to US dollars, $1.19 x $1.05 and I think we're at $1.25US per therm. I think that's how it goes but I'm not sure. Anywho it's cheaper than it's been in years.

So indeed it is actually us who is getting ripped!

Does not suprise me, cost of living is going through the roof over here!

I guess to add insult to injury, I thought that price was locked in but it is now at .9692 with a $14.25 service charge. Again, this is the lowest I've seen in the last 10 years.

Not quite sure what the therm price is.... But its soooo cheap that I
Plan to change out my oil burner to gas next month
Stopped buying pellets in march/april (cant remember exactly when)
Started selling my wood as now I don't need to keep 12 cords on hand for 3+ winters
Now I can go away without stressing!

thanks to whoever figured out how to do fracking, I am converting from oil, can't beat the price on NG

rowerwet said:
thanks to whoever figured out how to do fracking, I am converting from oil, can't beat the price on NG

Fracking will be the next great debate, contaminates peoples wells and causes earthquakes

Just read about tests using high pressure propane to frack instead of the traditional water and sand mix. Propane would be recovered and reused leaving no contaminates underground.

Retired Guy said:
Just read about tests using high pressure propane to frack instead of the traditional water and sand mix. Propane would be recovered and reused leaving no contaminates underground.

That would be much better, but prolly wouldn't solve the earthquakes

sometimes i wish i could get nat gas but theres no lines to us! and i aint gonna pay for none.

iceman said:
rowerwet said:

Fracking will be the next great debate, contaminates peoples wells and causes earthquakes

I believe it's the injection of waste waters back into the ground that's causing the quakes. Happened recently in Ohio.

Just got my NG bill. Price is down to $9.1320 per MCF. Not sure what that amounts to per therm, but a year or two ago, it was $14 per MCF. I'm in the middle of the fracking boom.

Measuring in btus over here gas is about 10 bucks more than a cord of wood at about 175-200 for wood so how every many btus in a cord of oak It's 10 bucks more for same amour of btus assuming furnace is 80% and stove is 70% efficienct
Basically causing me to want to spend the 1300 bucks to convert oil burner to gas...

you city slickers are lucky you get natural gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.