Nat Gas wholesaling for the equiv. of $65 per ton pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you said wholesaling. Retail is a different ballgame, as you know.

Eric

That's why I am selling some of my wood! Gonna switch oil burner to gas.. not so much pressure to have 3yrs worth of wood!
Now I don't have to worry if the pellet stove runs out or the wood stove burns out! Nat gas is a great backup! I will let the furnace do the job overnight more often... Which will save me more wood and pellets

How much is one cord in therms? I pay 0.70/therm for gas. Wood, about $100/cord.

I have NG within 200 yards of me, maybe some day.

one thing to remember is most people keep their heat at 68 deg in the winter, turn it down @ night. your house is never at a concent temp( 1 min you are comfy and then you are cold). in the past 4 yrs that I have had my stove I have been asking people what their avg NG bill was from Jan- feb ( the coldest months in Western New York) to see if I was saving anything. That includes heat, hot water, and cloths dryer, the avg price I came across was $300-400 a month. I spend 600 a yr for my stash. I burn from the end of Oct- mid April. the cost of my Ng is $25 a month for the yr, hot water, cooking stove, and cloths dryer. my house is also a toasty 74 during the winter. In my think I am better off with the pellets than having a $300-400 gas bill in the winter. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.
However, in my case I burn wood pellets, wood and have a ng fireplace ... My furnace has 3 zones for me I won't see a large bill as I only heat areas I am in .. I might save some yes but its truly set it and forget it...
Now will I burn wood and pellets - of course ... But now I won't care if I fall asleep and forget the stove or the pellets , won't cringe if I go outta town, won't worry if I am short I am short on cash...- less stress

Natural gas furnace in my home 94% efficient. For kicks heated with wood for 2 years to try out the 3.4 monster. Wood at $55 per face cord (cut split and delivered) saved me $150 per year. I wouldnt do it again to save money, but when my son gets older I'll do it again just because burning wood is in my blood.

http://www.tdc.ca/wood.htm

That doesn't even make sense. 0.70/therm.

So 1 cord of birch is equal to $95 of natural gas? Hmmm...

Why then did I SAVE about $500 from burning wood vs heating with natural gas?

The Cost to switch to gas far outweighs the cost to just burn what you got, either be a pellet stove, wood stove, oil furnace like i have, there's gas on my street, but to cost to convert it all would never recoup, anytime there's a pipe going in your house your scewed just like the cable co, can raise there prices anytime
Unless if i could get converted all for free then i'd think about it, there are way's.......just need to make less than 20k a yr....GRRRRR

70 could be price per.therm, then you add fees which in my case brings it up to 1.25 or so
Honestly, its hard to compare the 2 as many people have inefficient furnaces compared to a pellet stove, many insulate and use savings without using gas again... Ex my house was 1000 gallons of oil... Insulate then 700 gallons ... I would save about half if I heated with gas vs oil.

Pellet-King said:
The Cost to switch to gas far outweighs the cost to just burn what you got, either be a pellet stove, wood stove, oil furnace like i have, there's gas on my street, but to cost to convert it all would never recoup, anytime there's a pipe going in your house your scewed just like the cable co, can raise there prices anytime
Unless if i could get converted all for free then i'd think about it, there are way's.......just need to make less than 20k a yr....GRRRRR

In many areas here in the northeast the cost to switch to NG is not that prohibitive. If you have an oil furnace or boiler and your equipment isn't too old they just change out the oil gun for a NG one and everything else remains. Right now, NG is the cheapest way to heat here in MA. I have NG for my hot water heaters and warm air furnace. The furnace almost never comes on because of the pellet stove cranking 24/7. I pay about the same $1.30 per therm as a previous poster, the cheapest it has been in many years and it looks to hold steady or drop this winter. The cost of NG is regulated here, unlike the price of oil. Speaking of oil and all politics aside, the price of a barrel of oil went under $80 briefly yesterday and "some" predict it may go back to the $75 range. Take that FWIW but it's good news for us at the pumps and all you guys out there who supplement your heating with oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.