Nation's Choice are burning better than expected.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
During the late summer/early fall I was on the hunt to find test bags of as many brands as I could find in my area. I ended up with 11 brands.

I just finished test burning two bags of Nation's Choice. As I have read here they are rebaged Inferno's. Supposedly the worst pellet ever for many.

I found them to burn fine... I would rate it as a average pellet compared to what I have burned. Heat output was within a few degree of O'Malley Pellets. And not far from Green Label Liqnectics..

If I could find some in the $150-175/ton range I would be all over them.

VERY DARK black ash though.. But the the amount of ash was fine. Also, the pellets were very small and really short. Never seen any look like this before?

I was expecting to see funny color flames, clinkers, and low heat!!

f2e1ac72.gif

dfe4fa86.gif

How do you like O'malleys? Im only about 20 mi from their mill but I e-mailed them and they only sell by the ton.

While googling about pellet reviews I came across a site that lets people review the products they've used. When I looked into Inferno, there was, to no surprise, alot of negative reviews, but what I found interesting was one particular post. One of the post was that of someone from Inferno, it didn't try to defend itself or counter any reviews, but rather stated that they are constantly making improvements to their products. Wonder if they are finally getting the message from the consumes and are actually striving for a better product? I'll try a few bags next chance I get and if the price is right.

What's the date on those bag Graham?

Its possible they have been listening to what people are saying and changing the way they do things. If you are putting out a sub-par product, then somethings gotta give. Either improve the quality or lose business.

farmboy said:
How do you like O'malleys? Im only about 20 mi from their mill but I e-mailed them and they only sell by the ton.

Yea, Tappahannock is only about 45 minutes from me! I talked to mill as well. I bought a few bags from a local stove shop to test out.

They burned ok... I like Hardwood heat and American Wood Fibers better. I don't have to drive as far and the price is the same.

If I could get O'Malleys for about $150-175/ton I would buy them!

Nations choice are made by the same group as Inferno's. Not sure I will go there! I read some posts like this and doesn't seem we can trust what they use for fiber!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59232/P220/#1032659

Problem with them is they except fiber from the open market. Nothing is controlled. Its just dumped off , ground up and sent to the pellet mill. I have heard some peeps say their pretty good, And when they go get another ton it's a whole different story! Usually involves tears and name calling! I'll stay on the side lines. I'll only buy if thats all I can get(more like last pellet on earth) and it better be cheap!

I know someone who bought a ton of Infernos earlier in the season. I wish he had asked me first. I thought to myself that he would be hugely unhappy. But, he says they burn hot with very little ash. Go figure. It's whatever fiber they had that day.

stellep said:
I know someone who bought a ton of Infernos earlier in the season. I wish he had asked me first. I thought to myself that he would be hugely unhappy. But, he says they burn hot with very little ash. Go figure. It's whatever fiber they had that day.

Or maybe they've striving hard to improve their product(s). I'm willing to give a few bags a try if the price is right. If it makes a mess of my stove than you and the manufacturer will hear about it.

GrahamInVa said:
During the late summer/early fall I was on the hunt to find test bags of as many brands as I could find in my area. I ended up with 11 brands.

I just finished test burning two bags of Nation's Choice. As I have read here they are rebaged Inferno's. Supposedly the worst pellet ever for many.

I found them to burn fine... I would rate it as a average pellet compared to what I have burned. Heat output was within a few degree of O'Malley Pellets. And not far from Green Label Liqnectics..

If I could find some in the $150-175/ton range I would be all over them.

VERY DARK black ash though.. But the the amount of ash was fine. Also, the pellets were very small and really short. Never seen any look like this before?

I was expecting to see funny color flames, clinkers, and low heat!!

f2e1ac72.jpg
I don't know if they were made some where else also but last year they were made right here in central Va @ a plant in Bumpass. I bought a ton directly from them last year. I know some people that work there and they told me they were not affiliated with infernos. That being said I didn't care much for the nations choice and told them and they said they hear that alot. So this year the same plant is making Old Dominion which is alot better so they must have listened. Same price a paid for the Nations Choice but much better product. Also the pics you showed look nothing like the Nations I burned last year and look more like the Old Dominions, so maybe you have some stuff they did during the transition. Just a guess but i don't think you will be able to find them once they sell the remaining stock.

xraycer said:
stellep said:

Or maybe they've striving hard to improve their product(s). I'm willing to give a few bags a try if the price is right. If it makes a mess of my stove than you and the manufacturer will hear about it.

Please don't involve me in your decision to burn these things. I have no affiliation with the product and not one Inferno pellet has ever been in my stove. Also, you have to consider that someone holding a ton of these might not admit that they suck.

That being said, it has crossed my mind to swap him out a bag to see how they burn. It's a terrible disease this pellet thing.

Cheers,

sP

Natures Heat (junk) is a terrible pellet too. I buy them every year to see if they improve. Just bought 2 bags the other day (along with 15 bags of Old Dominion) to see if they got any better.

By burning Nations Choice or Natures Heat, it makes you appreciate your "shoulder season" pellets. Terrible.......

But its good to know what a truly bad pellet is. My Quad is a mess after just 4 bags of these. A complete disaster. Ash is Equivalent to 25 bags of Somerset. Literally.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 256
DexterDay said:
Natures Heat (junk) is a terrible pellet too. I buy them every year to see if they improve. Just bought 2 bags the other day (along with 15 bags of Old Dominion) to see if they got any better.

By burning Nations Choice or Natures Heat, it makes you appreciate your "shoulder season" pellets. Terrible.......

But its good to know what a truly bad pellet is. My Quad is a mess after just 4 bags of these. A complete disaster. Ash is Equivalent to 25 bags of Somerset. Literally.

People don't believe me, But I say the better pellets seem even better when you really know what the bad ones are! ;-)

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

People don't believe me, But I say the better pellets seem even better when you really know what the bad ones are! ;-)

Jay, I am a believer. By burning true "Junk", it really makes you appreciate even middle of the road pellets. My lowest heat pellet, is still leaps and bounds above that garbage. Thats about what it smells like. Garbage. I have gotten 2 completely different pellets from HD and Wal-Mart. Different colors and different lengths. One had PFI logo, the other didnt. Both were junk. Had to try again.

Just because it makes me feel better about everything else. Especially my Somersets, Ligs (Presto and Green's), and hopefully the Old Dominion's I just bought. If they are good, I am gonna grab a ton or 2 of them.

stellep said:
xraycer said:
stellep said:

Please don't involve me in your decision to burn these things. I have no affiliation with the product and not one Inferno pellet has ever been in my stove. Also, you have to consider that someone holding a ton of these might not admit that they suck.

You're misunderstanding my post stellep. When I stated that "you" will hear about it, I meant the forum, not you specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.