Natural draft vs forced draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere10

Nov 5, 2009
Upstate N.Y
Just throwing this out there. On a natural draft unit such as a GW,where a draft door slowly opens to draw air into the unit. What if a fan or a series of small fans were to be mounted near the draft door to actually push the air into the unit. Any thoughts if this will benefit or harm the whole operation of the boiler. Wouldnt this do the same as a draft inducer installed in a chimney? Just happened onto a pack of small 120v fans today enclosed in a stainless frame the same width as the draft door on my GW,so may be an easy mount if the opinions here are favorable. Just hook right into the aquastat for power when draft door is open. Thanks for any thought on this idea.

It's been a couple of years since the infamous Adobe has been fired @ my house. See here-- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15542/P120/ --Adobe had/has forced air draft. I can't give you any solid advice but I experimented with natural draft @ the end of my course with it. Maybe muleman51 could --he's dealing with the same POSheeeet.

I wonder the same thing every year Deere. I think forced induction would be nice for refiring when the fuel has run out and you reload.

I also wonder about smoke. What I mean is, I often wonder if we often have to rich an A/F mixture, causing some smoke from wasted fuel, decreasing our efficiency. But I think the only way I will ever run a fan is if it is controlled by some sort of exhaust stream analyzer.

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.