natural lump charcoal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
I did a couple searches but didn't come up with anything on making charcoal for the grilling season (I have a Weber charcoal grill, refuse to use gas). I've been spending $30-$40 a year on Kingsford briquettes . . all the while having a giant pile of mixed wood that I'm thinking could be used for making 'natural lump charcoal' (that stuff is expensive! at the big boxes) . . . any suggestions?? Just a guess but I'll probably start experimenting with burning down some smaller apple or cherry splits in an outdoor fireplace dousing them after 10-15mins

What kind of wood? Just grill over the wood I have used a Oak Fired Grill makes some of the best steaks and salmon. I think oak is one of the best to grill with its hot and and the smell is wonderful, I save oak from the fireplace to cook with every year.

I will add a little bit more when I smoke food I will add a little bit of cherry to it, this helps with complexity of flavors. Try grill over the cherry.

I ues pallet scraps for my grilling. All my scraps are cut offs from the factory, they are not used pallets, fresh cut offs. So I let them dry out like we should, then split them in to lots of pieces, I use one bucket full each time i cook out. I think it the BEST GRILLING you can have is with a real wood fire. Once the flames are down I have a nice bed of coals to cook on. I do use gas only when i don't have time to start a fire.

I have had the same bag of charcoal for over a year because I quit using it. I pretty much only grill over oak and hickory fires now, like MMaul. I get the best venison steaks ever, as well as grilled peppers, potatoes, etc. I have a Char Griller smoker type grill. I have found that if you light it like your wood stove, let all of the "splits" char, and then shut the lid, you can pretty much maintain the temperature you want using the damper (mine is typically 300-350). I have my old gas grill for when i don't want any "flavor" (I never use it).

You can pretty much grill for freeusing wood, and it tastes soooooo much better.

I ues pallet scraps for my grilling. All my scraps are cut offs from the factory, they are not used pallets, fresh cut offs. So I let them dry out like we should, then split them in to lots of pieces, I use one bucket full each time i cook out. I think it the BEST GRILLING you can have is with a real wood fire. Once the flames are down I have a nice bed of coals to cook on. I do use gas only when i don’t have time to start a fire.
I am really glad you said they were leftover pieces that were not used. I was about to get worried.

i use green egg fuel, accentuated occasionally with soaked chips of hickory or mesquite (usually kingsford) gas stove has a bird nest in it , its safe in there for them i wont be lighting it anytime soon

Lump charcoal is expensive because it is expensive to make. You have to bake the wood to cook off the volitales. Uses as much fuel to cook the wood as you get charcoal out of it.

Just use wood and cook over the coals.

All winter long, when it was grill night, I would use the hot coals from the wood stove and a little store bought green egg charcoal. It worked great.

Interesting posts, thanks, the only reason I don't want to use 'raw wood' is that I while I like seafood with a smokey flavor I'd rather use something more -neutral- for hamburgers & hotdogs, so theory is that natural charcoal would work. I was near out of charcoal last year, threw two small splits on, and got complaints from the family.

Never knew that Green E. sold fuel, will have to try that, when my ship comes in I'll think about getting one of those, understand they are deals to be had if you go to one of their cookouts (vs. paying top dollar at retail shop).

Again, just will have to experiment to see what works.

What you can do is what I do camping sometimes. I camp on my own property but you can do this anywhere if you have a grill and a fire pit or two grills.

Get the master fire going early and get a good coal bed. Shovel coals from master fire into grill or where you need them. Add coals from master fire as needed to keep temp required. It really is simple. if you just want coals but takes a bit of planning. When I do not plan ahead or use wood charcoal, I use the gas grill. It works...

BTW - I do not think wood charcoal is all that expensive. If just cooking for the family, I only need a small load for the grill.

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
Get the master fire going early and get a good coal bed. Shovel coals from master fire into grill or where you need them. Add coals from master fire as needed to keep temp required. It really is simple. if you just want coals but takes a bit of planning. When I do not plan ahead or use wood charcoal, I use the gas grill. It works...

Wow, that is tempting for a pyro like me, two fires

Status
Not open for further replies.