Nature did all the work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
On this score of a life time. Right now I don't know what kind of wood I have, but there is a ton of it and it is ready to burn now. The wood is super hard and dense and has been sitting in a petrified state for years. I could hardly split it with the maul. It took me 6 wacks, but then it split. Up until now I would have considered my 2 cords of petrified red elm to be my biggest score, even though I have many cords of white oak and hickory and maple. That bone dry red elm will get my furnace cranking and the house will be toast very quickly. Will someone give me an I.D. on this wood. I almost think it is red elm again but the tree is huge with a 38" base. The first two pictures are the barkless split open round.....top fiew and face fiew. The last picture are the splits. These two pieces will clank like two bowling pins.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 019.jpg
    bearded asil hen 019.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 125
  • bearded asil hen 020.jpg
    bearded asil hen 020.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 146
  • bearded asil hen 021.jpg
    bearded asil hen 021.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 167
Its Red Elm again.You lucky dog.Great stuff as you know already.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I've never burned it but I'll take Thistles word.

zap

Looks a lot like honey locust to me but I'll take Thistle's word for it as I've not been lucky enough to cut and split any red elm. Either way a great score you lucky dog you!()

Great score !
Being ready to burn. Great score + ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.