Natures Fuel pellets, Anyone try?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
just saw these at local HD, did a search, found they are produced in the NW US. They are all pine & made by Woodgrain Millworker. Just curious if anyone has burned them??

That would be one of the really cheap brands we sometimes get here.As they are all pine(I prefer dog fir mix) Iwould bet they bought a plant back there,kind of like okanagen has been buying up plants,makes shipping less.Never burned any though.

Nature's Fuel pellets showed up for the first time at my local HD for $4.98 per bag. Bag says >8300 btu and less than .5% ash, pure western conifers, and graded as "Super Premium" by the PFI. Anyone try these?

I bought a dozen bags based upon the label description, mostly they claim less than 1/2 % ash. I did not agree. I found them to be about the same heat and ash as FSU. But a huge amount of dust and fines. So much so that the pellets would get hung up along the slopes inside the hopper and not fully empty into the auger opening. They are made in Idaho. A very long distance to my local HD in Auburn Maine. Mostly because of all the fines, I will not buy again. But it does make me wonder why or how HD can bring pellets from such distances.

I found these today at a HD on my way home from work.. Bought a few bags, dumped one in when I got home.. So far great pine smell.. Very soft, chit ton of fines.. Probably held back about 5lbs of the bag because there was so much fines at the bottom of the bag. Will let you know what the heat and ash is later..

Tried them a few years back. Harman chewed them up well but nothing spectacular either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.