NC-13 clearance- get it as close as possible!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
So the new stove is on it's way. Now I need to vent it. It will have to go out a wall horizontally to a "Tee", then up about 16-20'. Not too worried about that, it's the interior I have to contend with. Ceiling height is 74" from floor. Stove is 27.5" to top of flue pipe. What are the thoughts on running a flue/damper collar, a 45 and a 45 to a thimble, straight run to the "Tee", then up from there? I'm thinking the damper is the only area for single-wall, all else would be double wall pipe.
Due to requirements, can I double the heat shields on the back of the stove? To reduce clearance requirements, will adding extra air gaps help? I don't plan on adding a blower to this stove, so "over-the-top" heat shields are cool with me. I will use Eco-fans on this one, however. (Base-3" concrete/slab on grade, back wall is 24" CMU w/ wood framing up to 72".) Thanks, JB

Contact Englander tech support for clearances to the ceiling. 74" is a very low ceiling. There is a min. of 84" required for alcove ceiling height. There should be no need for a damper on this flue pipe. The clearances can't be reduced further than permitted in the stove documentation. If there is a cmu wall behind the unit, can the wood framing be removed for a section wide enough to cover clearances?

I agree, 74" ceiling height is not ideal, but that is what I have to deal with. This area can be modified , there are no limits, and aesthetics are not an issue. I can stack heat shields as required, , and the through wall area will probably be cut-out/ replaced with steel and fireproof insulation. Steel stove means I can weld on threaded studs for additions, (heat shields). The damper is only an idea, I don't know if it should be there or not, but I have to figure the dimensions of the component pieces . I don't want more or less than 1/4" per 12" of up-angle on the horizontal run.

Status
Not open for further replies.