NC-30 progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
I have been running my NC-30 mainly in the evenings its a basement install about 5ft of single wall with 1 90* into the basement wall. The chimney is about 24-26ft 10x10id clay tile lined. I have an external thermometer 2ft up on the single wall and a thermometer on the stovetop center about 1in in front of the flue collar. Outside temps mid teens to low 30s

I usually start with a small hot fire to get the flue temp up (350-400) stove top is running about 500. When that coals I load her up. Only burning poplar right now all that I have that is seasoned well. With the new load I usually let the fire get going good with the door cracked open and primary air fully open. When the stove tops hits 450 I close the door and shut the air down to 1/2. Stove top gets to 500* I close the air to 1/4 or so. Stove usually settles out at 550-625*. I then cut on the fan med to high depending on how the fire looks and if I want to blow the heat some. Have great secondaries, no smoke and the 30 will run like this for about 2hrs. As the stovetop temp drops I usually turn the fan down or open the air some more or a combination of both. When the load starts to coal I cant resist and stir everything around. Open the air up fully and let the coals burn down. Sometimes I add small split, sometimes not. Sometimes I leave the door open to assist the coal burn down. Poplar leaves some big coals. But all along the 30 is pumping out the heat. Basement will get to about 80* in short order. I open the stairway door to let the heat up. Start to finish burn or till I want to reload is usually about 3-4hrs. Keep in mind that is with poplar and small to med splits and me messing with the stove during the coaling part of the fire. I do have some maple that I will try I think it would work well doing a mix, but I think the maple is still a little wet to burn alone.

NC-30 definitely a good purchase and replacement for my Fisher Grandpa Bear. Have sweep coming out next Wed also getting an estimate for an install upstairs where there currently is a prefab fireplace(that I have not burned this year - dang thing is heat theft vice doing any heating). Hoping to have Jotul F600 installed in the greatroom with ss liner. Well hope the estimate fits the budget.

Tony

Hi Tony!

Thanks for the report. It's good to know the Englander can work with that big masonry flue. That's pretty versatile.

Good luck with your upgrades. Like the idea of folks having a stove where they can sit and enjoy it. Happy burning!

forvols said:
I have been running my NC-30 mainly in the evenings its a basement install about 5ft of single wall with 1 90* into the basement wall. The chimney is about 24-26ft 10x10id clay tile lined. I have an external thermometer 2ft up on the single wall and a thermometer on the stovetop center about 1in in front of the flue collar. Outside temps mid teens to low 30s

I usually start with a small hot fire to get the flue temp up (350-400) stove top is running about 500. When that coals I load her up. Only burning poplar right now all that I have that is seasoned well. With the new load I usually let the fire get going good with the door cracked open and primary air fully open. When the stove tops hits 450 I close the door and shut the air down to 1/2. Stove top gets to 500* I close the air to 1/4 or so. Stove usually settles out at 550-625*. I then cut on the fan med to high depending on how the fire looks and if I want to blow the heat some. Have great secondaries, no smoke and the 30 will run like this for about 2hrs. As the stovetop temp drops I usually turn the fan down or open the air some more or a combination of both. When the load starts to coal I cant resist and stir everything around. Open the air up fully and let the coals burn down. Sometimes I add small split, sometimes not. Sometimes I leave the door open to assist the coal burn down. Poplar leaves some big coals. But all along the 30 is pumping out the heat. Basement will get to about 80* in short order. I open the stairway door to let the heat up. Start to finish burn or till I want to reload is usually about 3-4hrs. Keep in mind that is with poplar and small to med splits and me messing with the stove during the coaling part of the fire. I do have some maple that I will try I think it would work well doing a mix, but I think the maple is still a little wet to burn alone.

NC-30 definitely a good purchase and replacement for my Fisher Grandpa Bear. Have sweep coming out next Wed also getting an estimate for an install upstairs where there currently is a prefab fireplace(that I have not burned this year - dang thing is heat theft vice doing any heating). Hoping to have Jotul F600 installed in the greatroom with ss liner. Well hope the estimate fits the budget.

Tony

Leaving the door open to achieve operating temp is NOT a good practice. It is too easy to become distracted, walk away from the stove, and return to an over firing stove.

Thanks for the advice. When I am playing with the stove I stay there. I do a lot of this to see the effect it has on the burn cycle, so I stay at the stove and monitor as I change things. Learned alot - also all my toys are in the basement so gives me time to do some cleanup project on chainsaws, harley, etc.

But yeah I do appericate the reminder. Safety is paramount and I have learned a great deal here on this site if the door is cracked or open I am there until the door is shut and stove has settled down to cruising temp. But I would recommend if you have the time and stay focused making adjustment and changes during the burn cycle while you watch the fire and temps will teach you a great deal on operating your particular stove. Key here is if you do this then that is all you should be doing. As stated dont get distracted.

Refilled the woodbin last night I have burned about 3/4 of cord of poplar (small amount of maple too) Since late NOV.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.