NC30 Is This Guy Real??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he wouldn't be the first or the 30th person I have met that feels the same way. I can't tell you how many times I am in TSC and even the sale representative is giving out mis-information like this to customers!!

Don't even get me started on my neighbors.

I try very hard to keep my mouth shut, but every year it is the same thing. One neighbor even accused me of lying saying there was no way I could heat my entire house these past 2 winters with only 4 cords of wood and with a catalytic stove 1/2 the size of his old non-epa smoke dragon.

He is one old worn cynical b-stard. And a few of my other neighbors are of the same ilk unfortunately.

You can almost see the steam come out my ears.

It's a good thing he didn't get the stove hot with the wood piled on the top of the stove.
I don't see much anymore that surprises me. I've tried many times to escape this planet by jumping off but I can't seem to jump high enough. :eek:

The reason I don't even bother to try to tell'em. Two of them have megabuck EPA stoves now and run'em like we did the old tanks for years with green wood. And wish they had their old stoves back.

Drying his green wood on top of the stove. Yep, it's the stove's fault.
"A poor worker always blames his tools."

On a side note I don't think a lot of people understand the wet wood / dry wood principle. But the difficulty comes in them being perceptive to understanding the issue. As well as changing habits and learning to stock pile more wood years in advance.

I can see how those 2 issues combined can make it very difficult for someone to change their habits.

First they have to admit their wood isn't dry which seems to be a pride issue. Second they have to stockpile a couple years of wood which sometimes can also become a financial issue as 1 year of wood can be a chunk of change and 3 years can be even more. So I do try and be a little understanding, but sometimes I feel like it is just plain ignorance and a complete lack of regard for attempting to change .

My wife had her Oslo when I met her, I bought my Shelburne two years ago, I've never run anything other than an EPA stove I guess.
Took me about half a season (before finding this site) to realize that dry wood and the right set up make all the difference in the world.
Can't fix stupid.

IMG_2481.JPG Old habits die hard. Darwin will take care of these guys ,probably have a heart attack preparing enough green wood to heat the inside of their stove.
Here is an example of a 30 Making heat.

Last edited:
[/ATTACH]
I'd like to see him put his hand on my 30-NC and then say "No Heat!". Yea, I'd almost pay to see that.
Mine looks like a blast furnace ,had to buy a fan to keep it under 800 Deg stovetop.

Attachments

• IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
So I do try and be a little understanding, but sometimes I feel like it is just plain ignorance and a complete lack of regard for attempting to change .
Iv never had much luck . They seem to get mad when you try to help them save themselves a lot of work. Its like "what yur telling me i dont know what im doing?
well iv been doing it this way for years!!!!!!!!!. I usually just smile at that point.

Cant fix stupid, hopefully this guy gives up burning altogether - :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is he doing wrong?
Burning green wood that has not been seasoned. That kind of wood can barely make enough heat to burn all the water out of itself ,let alone heat the house.
Plus trying to make up for it by placing the wood on the stove top !!!!!!!!!
Edit: And trashing a great stove to boot.

Last edited:
My Lord. As black and dirty as his glass was, I'd hate to see his chimney. Can anybody say chimney fire in the making?

We also don't know him chimney height, current sote buildup, and just by the video you can see a couple awkward turns in the pipe as well that may also be contributing but the wood on top of the stove is a good indicator of whats wrong.

There is "no heat" but the stove is obviously hot to the touch, it just isn't eminating enough heat 1-2 inches above that he is used to.

And the quote about "not being able to get the stove and pipe glowing red" would indicated two possible problems (1 draft, 2 wet wood). If he had dry wood that stove wood glow just as well as his old one if that is what he really wanted.

But soaked wood just won't get hot enough to make your stove glow until most of it almost already burned up if not completely coaled.

If he was used to a glowing red, overfired stove, he is looking for 900F+ heat. Not going to get that from any modern stove for very long without doing some overfire damage.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Look at his daughter on the back ground, she looks comfortable, not cold, guy is also dramatic

We tossed this video around a few years ago. Entertaining anyway.

I was going to post that same thing, we beat him up pretty good.

The guy has a big problem! It's right between the woodpile and door handle on the stove.;lol

Well were here to educate,medicate,and evaluate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well maybe not medicate.

I was at a guys house around NewYears. I watched him put a split or two of wood, every 20 minutes or so onto the grate in his NC30 After a few hours and a weeks worth of wood, I asked, do you leave the draft wide open all the time? He replied, "that's the trick to running these new stoves. Most people don't like them but they just don't know how to keep them going."

I was at a guys house around NewYears. I watched him put a split or two of wood, every 20 minutes or so onto the grate in his NC30 "
The 30 doesnt come with any kind of grate. If there is a grate in there he put it in himself. Also If you have to load the stove every 20 minutes you must have green wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.