NC30 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
Broke down and bought a new nc30 this month after reading nothing but good reviews on the stove and finished install today. My question is pretty simple, other than an old fisher stove at my hunting camp, all stoves ive owned have an ash pan and grate so ash disposal was a breeze. How long can you go before having to shovel ashes out of the 30, the plug set up and pan seems more trouble than its worth IMO.

I would say once it starts coming out the loading door you better start shoveling some out.. lol

Reactions: gloves12
Depends a lot on what you are feeding it...some wood makes a ton of ashes. I think that makes more difference than the model of stove does.
I tend to run my ash a little deeper than some (I dig a ditch in it, in the center, front to back, to get the "tunnel of love" going) so going a week at a time is not unusual

I go about a week or so. Depends a little how I am burning if I allow for a full burn cycle or get rushed and throw wood on too soon. If I am patient the fire will consume more ash and I have less to clean.

When your burn times are noticeably shorter its time to empty it. Ash will pack down. Its surprising how much will come out as you take shovelful after shovelful out. I use a steel dustpan to do the dirty work.

Thanks for the replies. Was just curious , the only negative thread ive seen on this stove was a post about coal buildup which is why i questioned.

I haven't had that problem in the 6 years I've used a 30. The stove puts out enough heat I doubt they were over feeding it in order to keep a home's temperature up. I suspect they closed the air down too far on suspect wood. The stove likes really dry wood.

I wish it had a slightly better air wash system, but I really don't care if the glass is spick and span as the stove lives in my basement.

My best friend had an Englander in his old house, and soon again in his new place. That stove will hold a surprising amount of ash / coals, best option would be to get a hand garden rake and a nice pair of welding leather gloves.
When the ash / coals start to get close to the door opening, rake half the coals over to one side, then shovel out the ash into a metal bucket. re - level the fire box with ash and rake larger coals towards the front. For best performance leave at least a half inch of ash at the bottom of the stove, it acts as good insulation.
It seem like that's a lot of work but really it only takes a few minutes and its not everyday. Also its fairly universal with most stoves, I do this on my BK ( for new people)
The NC30 is an impressive stove for its cost, quite the work horse, my same friend recently purchased the same stove back at the end of July on sale at homedepot, he just unpacked the stove and noticed the ash draw was missing, he called Englander and they took care of him, his actual text to me was "called Englander about the missing ash pain, was on the phone for only 5 minutes, they were so nice and helpful, sending me new one right away, awesome company"

Reactions: beatlefan
I haven't had that problem in the 6 years I've used a 30. The stove puts out enough heat I doubt they were over feeding it in order to keep a home's temperature up. I suspect they closed the air down too far on suspect wood. The stove likes really dry wood.

I am one that overfeeds the stove in order to keep the room temperature up or rising. I use it in a well insulated but large shop and run it at maximum safe output which means it can coal up regardless of how dry the wood is. So yes, it is certainly possible but this is not unique to the NC30. It would happen with any woodstove being run hard.

It isn't a very deep firebox, as in ash storage depth, but since it is such a large firebox it can hold a lot of ash. I do NOT use the ash plug and pan, just shovel it out. The ash drawer, like many brands, is extremely small and almost totally a worthless decoration.

The NC30 is well built, cheap, and most importantly it is BIG.

Attachments

• IMAG0858.jpg
    IMAG0858.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 144
I am one that overfeeds the stove in order to keep the room temperature up or rising. I use it in a well insulated but large shop and run it at maximum safe output which means it can coal up regardless of how dry the wood is. So yes, it is certainly possible but this is not unique to the NC30. It would happen with any woodstove being run hard.

It isn't a very deep firebox, as in ash storage depth, but since it is such a large firebox it can hold a lot of ash. I do NOT use the ash plug and pan, just shovel it out. The ash drawer, like many brands, is extremely small and almost totally a worthless decoration.

Mine threw tons of heat ,and ate tons of wood,but I enjoyed it while I had it,my first woodstove some time ago.Burn times didn't fit in my schedule however my nephew still has it as a sole heat source and his wife home schools and is home so it works well for him.Plus he has unlimited access to wood on his 38 acres in Killbuck Ohio.

I removed the ash plug and stuffed the hole with rockwool and put a piece of brick over it. The thing on the top of it was a pain to work around scooping out ashes. I take two or three scoops out of the cooler ashes at the front of the stove each morning before dragging the coals forward for a reload.

I use the little ash pan as a food warmer.

I removed the ash plug and stuffed the hole with rockwool and put a piece of brick over it. The thing on the top of it was a pain to work around scooping out ashes. I take two or three scoops out of the cooler ashes at the front of the stove each morning before dragging the coals forward for a reload.

I use the little ash pan as a food warmer.

Interesting? Does the stove appear to get more air now or does the rockwool prevent any extra?

Interesting? Does the stove appear to get more air now or does the rockwool prevent any extra?

No more air, and doesn't need more. My chimney draws like a vacuum cleaner. The rockwool is to prevent air leakage in through the ash port. Which is a non-issue after the spaces between the bricks fill with ash. And to keep ash from falling on my biscuits. ==c

Thanks BB! I am happy with the performance right now and did not want to change it. I hate that little knub that sticks up though....:mad:

I love mine. I too, have gotten some coal buildup. I think it is just a by product of such a large space and so much wood cooking down. That an I like to choke down the air. Sometimes if there are too many coals, i'll give it full air, fresh split and crack the door.

If I load it full at night, I still have a some coals for an easy start in the morning. And the house is still warm.

I'm very happy with mine.

No more air, and doesn't need more. My chimney draws like a vacuum cleaner. The rockwool is to prevent air leakage in through the ash port. Which is a non-issue after the spaces between the bricks fill with ash. And to keep ash from falling on my biscuits. ==c

I did the same with mine. I cut a fire brick to fit and now the bottom is totally flat. Makes for easy ash disposal. No ash on my biscuits either.

Thanks BB! I am happy with the performance right now and did not want to change it. I hate that little knub that sticks up though....:mad:

Folks have also just ground off the little loop and then put the plug back in. You could always weld a new one on if you wanted to.

But you know what you're doing and wouldn't blame the stove for the trait.

Broke down and bought a new nc30 this month after reading nothing but good reviews on the stove
Come to think of it, I would rephrase that first sentence... Had a moment of clarity in my life and bought a new nc30.. lol, you will be very surprised at how well this guy functions, just make sure you have a moisture meter and you burn wood at or below 20% on a fresh faced split. If your wood is higher moisture (like mid 20's) get some bio bricks to mix in. Also make sure your flu / chimney length is a minimum of 15ft, this stove is a lite breather and needs a longer flue for a good draft.

Reactions: PoconoMama
My morning NC30 routine (when running 24/7): Start coffee, let dog out, shovel coals to one side, remove ash from that side, pull coals to the front, wipe glass with damp paper towel, load stove, let dog in, pour coffee and watch it burn.

Reactions: PoconoMama
Thank you all for the input. I like the idea of pulling the plug out and grinding off the top so it makes a good tight seal.

The plug is a minor annoyance.

Be very careful when reloading. I branded my right bicept area several times on the door hinge post.

Sounds like you learn about as quickly as I do....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.