30-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tshirt49

Mar 15, 2016
Newfoundland, Canada
I am looking to purchase a new 30NC for my cabin. I am hoping someone can tell what they are like for heating a cabin from a dead cold of -15 deg celsius. Cabin is approx 900 square feet and fully insulated with hardwood floor. I need a stove that can rock the heat out for 2-3 hours before calming it down to a manageable level

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say in about an hour you'll be in shorts and a t-shirt.

Going to make an assumption here: 900 sq. ft. = 9000 cu. ft. volume - no cathedral ceiling. It takes about .2 btu to raise one cu. ft. of air. one degree. -15 c. is 5 f., so if you want to raise the temperature to, say, 70 deg. f., that is an increase of 65 deg. f., necessitating 117,000 btu.

Englander rates the NC 30 at 75,000 btu, so just to heat the air will require burning at the maximum output for something like an hour and a half. BUT!!!! You also have to raise the temperature of the furniture, the cabinetry, the interior walls, the frozen tube of toothpaste left last time you were there, everything. And meanwhile the envelope is losing heat continuously - this is what R factor measures, after all. And a maximum output for any stove is tough to maintain for more than about 90 minutes or so.

I am going to guess that to bring the cabin up to 70 degrees will take many hours - five, six, maybe eight. I have a personal comparison, not a great one, but a comparison: My very well insulated, 1300 sq. ft. house in Colorado is set to stay at 40 deg. f. when we are gone. When we need to bring the temperature back up to 65 deg. f. in 0 deg. outside temperatures our 80,000 btu furnace (80% efficient, 64,000 btu output) runs non stop for about two, two and a half hours.

One the other hand, the area immediately around the stove should be pretty comfortable in 90 minutes or less.

I am looking to purchase a new NC 30 for my cabin. I am hoping someone can tell what they are like for heating a cabin from a dead cold of -15 deg celsius. Cabin is approx 900 square feet and fully insulated with hardwood floor. I need a stove that can rock the heat out for 2-3 hours before calming it down to a manageable level
I guess you know that you CANNOT simply set that thing on your hardwood floor. It's gonna need a specifically rated hearth.
What's your chimney setup?

But, it will keep ya warm enough.

I am replacing an older stove. We have a tin base which is bent around all four sides on top of the hard wood floor. The existing stove is sitting on top of 4 bricks on pedestal legs. I think I would also use the pedestal legs that come with the stove

Going to make an assumption here: 900 sq. ft. = 9000 cu. ft. volume - no cathedral ceiling. It takes about .2 btu to raise one cu. ft. of air. one degree. -15 c. is 5 f., so if you want to raise the temperature to, say, 70 deg. f., that is an increase of 65 deg. f., necessitating 117,000 btu.

Englander rates the NC 30 at 75,000 btu, so just to heat the air will require burning at the maximum output for something like an hour and a half. BUT!!!! You also have to raise the temperature of the furniture, the cabinetry, the interior walls, the frozen tube of toothpaste left last time you were there, everything. And meanwhile the envelope is losing heat continuously - this is what R factor measures, after all. And a maximum output for any stove is tough to maintain for more than about 90 minutes or so.

I am going to guess that to bring the cabin up to 70 degrees will take many hours - five, six, maybe eight. I have a personal comparison, not a great one, but a comparison: My very well insulated, 1300 sq. ft. house in Colorado is set to stay at 40 deg. f. when we are gone. When we need to bring the temperature back up to 65 deg. f. in 0 deg. outside temperatures our 80,000 btu furnace (80% efficient, 64,000 btu output) runs non stop for about two, two and a half hours.

One the other hand, the area immediately around the stove should be pretty comfortable in 90 minutes or less.
This is what it would normally take to heat the cabin using the existing older stove. I need a new replacement that can give me longer burn times. I am only getting a 4 hour burn now because of the older stove

At 900sqft the NC30 is going to probably give too much heat once it's up to temp. You may need to crack some windows.

This is what it would normally take to heat the cabin using the existing older stove. I need a new replacement that can give me longer burn times. I am only getting a 4 hour burn now because of the older stove

I would expect the NC-30 to maintain the heat in a reasonably well insulated building your size for up to seven or eight hours on a load in the kind of temperatures you experience. [EDIT - I am assuming hardwood for fuel. I have no experience with pine in this stove] A fresh load should hold overnight with a minimal drop in temperature even in very cold conditions. The large fire box holds a lot of fuel. My NC 30 is in a building a bit more than twice the size of yours, and a fresh load will actually increase the ambient temperature during an overnight 10 hour burn down to outside temps of 10 deg. f. or so.

My 30NC heats my 2500 sq. ft. house just fine. When outside temp drops below zero it struggles to keep up. Should do well in your cabin. Maybe too well...

Thank you for all the replies. I have made up my mind and will purchase the NC 30
It's about the best bang for the buck non-cat out there for high output. It's also about the biggest. Point is, it will heat the cabin as quickly as any wood stove and will be a good heater for the money.

I have experience heating a large space from cold with the NC30, running it at max output to heat my 1800 SF insulated shop with 14' ceilings. It won't do much anything for 10 hours. Ha! When you are actually using this stove to make real heat it will burn through a full load in 3 hours. Get two thermometers, one for the stove top and one for the pipe. During warm up you can overfire the pipe but after warm up you can overfire the stove so you need to watch both of those redline temperatures to be sure you don't hurt anything when you are cranking an NC30.

With that NC30 humming at 700 within 30 minutes of your arrival, the cabin won't be warm but you can stand or sit next to the NC30 and be warm as the cabin temperature comes up.

Oh and plan on some funky condensation in there. The envelope will be really cold and as you warm the air, it will drop moisture out onto the inside of walls and furniture, even light fixtures that are still relatively cold. Watch for mildew.

Reactions: beatlefan
Good stove but Small viewing door and glass. On sale sometimes for $650. Ill be selling one of my 30s to purchase a summer heat 2400 with a huge viewing door.

I am replacing an older stove. We have a tin base which is bent around all four sides on top of the hard wood floor. The existing stove is sitting on top of 4 bricks on pedestal legs. I think I would also use the pedestal legs that come with the stove

If I'm not mistaken, the NC30 requires a hearth with an R value of 1.5.

Reactions: CenterTree
Good stove but Small viewing door and glass. On sale sometimes for $650. Ill be selling one of my 30s to purchase a summer heat 2400 with a huge viewing door.
I don't think its that the 30 has a small window, just the new ones are much much larger. That was my data'less perception. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the NC30 requires a hearth with an R value of 1.5.
Thank you for bringing that up again for the OP.:)
Seems like he just dismissed it the first time 'round.!!!
Hope he actually READS and FOLLOWS the manual when he gets that stove.

Be safe .

Wow, I think the door glass is huge. Stays really clean too. How much bigger is the 2400? Surely not much.

upload_2016-3-17_12-58-8.png

Summers heat 2400

The summer heat is built a little taller 6" and 3" wider plus they use the entire front of the stove to use the biggest door possible.

Pine is your friend - lots of heat fast and no coal buildup. Start stock piling it split small. Great for quick heat.

Looks to be about a 21" x 16" firebox based on the manual's firebrick layout.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.58.42 AM.png

The summers heat stove is proportioned a lot like my Harman 300-TL ,tall and wide ,with a big view. I prefer this style over the low and deep stove like the englander. ID trade one of my 30s in a heatbeat for the new summers heat wide view. If they dont discount this stove soon i guess ill be paying full price next season and selling one of my NC-30s or giving it to my brother to bring him into the 21st century, it would be the first EPA stove hes ever owned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.