NE First Freeze Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

A bit north of me, just wondering who plans on starting their engines?

Freeze Looms for Parts of Northeast Friday
Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
7:21 p.m. ET 9/17/2008Breezy, cool conditions, following the passage of a Canadian cold front, will carry a touch of autumn into the northeastern U.S. tomorrow.

A freeze watch is already posted from northern Pennsylvania to Upstate New York and Northern New England. In fact, some locations will be nearing record lows including Caribou, Maine., Burlington, Vt., and Syracuse, N.Y.

During the day tomorrow, highs will be near to below mid-September expectations with readings ranging from the low 50s in northern Maine to the 80s in south-central Virginia.

Yeah, I read the freeze warning on MSN weather tonite. I'll be lighting up in about twenty minutes!

Yup, frost warning for my area and a freeze warning just north of me. We'll see what the inside temp is in the house when I get home tonight. If it gets down below 64-65F, I'll light a small one.

Tfin said:
Yup, frost warning for my area and a freeze warning just north of me. We'll see what the inside temp is in the house when I get home tonight. If it gets down below 64-65F, I'll light a small one.

Yup, same for us on the edge of the Berkshires. We will probably have a freeze but at least it should kill all of the ragweed and help with the allergies. Looking to order a heated mattress cover and unplug the heated blanket. They say they are just as good and use a fraction of power as compared to electric blankets. We will see.
Ed

Talking about 30-40 degree temps for our area (Central Maine) tomorrow morning . . . I'll be doing my third break in fire tonight . . . if nothing else I just plain like watching the fire. And it looks like the garden is pretty much done . . . a few cukes, tomatoes and pumpkins left to harvest.

We may have frost by Friday morning, but must save wood.

Perhaps tonight might make for a break in fire, though.

burning oil for now. Havent had to yet though. Holding out till Octoberish until I light a fire

Doesnt matter to me what it is outside. The inside temps are still in the 70's which means way too early. It will have to dip into the 50's inside before any type of heat comes on including the fire. Probably at least another month.

Tfin said:
Adirondackwoodburner said:
burning oil for now.

GASP.....bite your tongue!

Won't take but 5min. running the furnace to take the chill off vs. about 2hrs. from starting the stove. Although I'm itchy for fire I'm not ready to mess up my nice level wood piles----or my house. Yet. Trying to hold out at least till Oct.

nyk0306 said:
Tfin said:
burning oil for now.

Won't take but 5min. running the furnace to take the chill off vs. about 2hrs. from starting the stove. Although I'm itchy for fire I'm not ready to mess up my nice level wood piles----or my house. Yet. Trying to hold out at least till Oct.

It was made in jest. I feel so misunderstood. :p

Tfin said:
nyk0306 said:
Tfin said:
burning oil for now.

It was made in jest. I feel so misunderstood. :p

Ha---I would have acknowledged that but I had just bitten my tongue and couldn't type anymore. :p

Got the stove sizzling tonight. Sposed to get down around 35 tonight. It is in the 50's right now but I know my G/F will be cold when she gets home.

50's might be to warm for some to light a fire but any excuse for me to make a fire. Plus if I run outta wood during the "colder" season then I know a place close by that has a KILN!! There has to be some wood over there!!!!!! (just don't tell nobody!) heeheehaha

The wood is ready to light in our stove, the glass spotless...but it's just a bit to warm outside -- mid 70s to 80 for highs. So I just stare wistfully at it, and dream of cold fronts. Don't get me wrong. I love the moderate Fall weather; but I guess I'm just a pyro at heart. It's Weird.

Regards

Never did end up lighting one last night after all. I kept the windows closed this time during the day yesterday, and by 7:30 - 8:00 pm it was only down to 71F inside. We did have a bit of a frost this morning and it was 33F outside. 63F inside, but I didn't have the time to light one before I left for work.

Maybe tonight being Fri and all.

My PITA dogs have trained me to take them out in the middle of the night. The stove was already loaded with cardboard and kindling, so I sparked it up while I was up, threw on a few splits. Just enough heat to take the chill off.

my house this am was 61. I flipped on the switch for the furnace to get up to 65 Took about 5 minutes of running. turned it off. End of story..it was 34 degrees this am outside

my house this am was 61. I flipped on the switch for the furnace to get up to 65 Took about 5 minutes of running. turned it off. End of story..it was 34 degrees this am outside

Praise to Allah. On behalf of my brotherly oil tyrants here, we thank you for your patronage.

my oil is MADE IN THE USA..from ALASKA...haha

Ah yes and to the burners of wood out there: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

The nights in the desert are getting cold.

We used to have what's called a " 3 camel night", now we just burn American currency to take the chill off.

Praise Allah.

I'm burning my Lehman Bros, AIG, Fannie, and Freddie stock certificates that were someday going to buy groceries - now they just keep me warm :ahhh:

I don't turn on the heat until Thanksgiving. At least that way you'll have one thing to be thankful for... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.