NE-SW or NW-SE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
We usually talk about putting splits NS and EW. Sometimes a diagonal is better. For example, tonight I started a fire with some large splits on the bottom. They were too long for NS, but fit quite nicely SE. The important thing is to have some space between them for a good draft. Placed some medium sized splits EW, a super cedar on the middle lowest split, and some kindling on top. Off to the races. The next batch of wood also fit better NE and then crosswise SW rather than the usual directions. Be flexible. Have fun!

I'm a NS guy, I never load any other way. If the split is too long for NS it gets tossed in the "needs to be shortened pile". I couldn't fit nearly a full load in my stove going diagonally in the firebox.

I've been doing some experimenting this year.
If the split won't fit n/s, I load some that do, then use the longer ones on top of the n/s going e/w.
I've had fires with the bottom layer n/s, then the next layer e/w, and also the opposite while also filling smaller pieces in wherever they'll fit.
I've got the fire going right now with 2 splits going from s/e to n/w, with another on top of those going from e/s/e to w/n/w.
How's that for flexible?

I pretty much do the same PapaDave when I run into some longer stuff. Works good.

Any way it will fit but mostly N-S. I just cut up 12-15 pallets today and there is nothing pretty about how they will fit.

Sometimes if I want a big fast fire, I will alternate layers (crib) on the diagonal. Other times I might prop one end of a split on top of the other to give it some more air.

With a top loader, I do not have many optionson how the wood is loaded- I drop one end in, see how it falls, adjust that log, then load the next. I do not send logs to the resize pile, I send them to the fire pit pile.

Diagonal would work for me if I didn't need much heat (small load), but I'd never load that way for real heat - I wouldn't be able to pack the box tight. Cheers!

SteveKG said:
Geeez. So complicated. I just put wood in the stove and burn it.
Me too..I'm thinking i would need a compass and a map to do what some do..lol.

SteveKG said:

Ya no Sheet, put the wood in the damn stove and burn it

HotCoals said:
Me too..I'm thinking i would need a compass and a map to do what some do..lol.
Well... I had my survey map in hand when I built my house and I used a compass to turn the house 10 degrees so I know *exactly* what direction my stove and therefore my wood is oriented.

It's not really all that complicated. Mind you lots of folks don't know which way is North and need a GPS to guide them. Oldtimers like me can tell by the moss on the trees.

I always rake the coals towards the middle, then pop a couple NS either side, and one EW right across the top near the rear. Seems to work ok, but I have been burning small stuff the last couple of days as it been mild, and have needed to conserve the decent stuff.

Not sure if I could do a couple of diagonals without something sticking up in the air and diverting the secondary burn all over the place. I'll have a try tomorrow out of curiosity...........

Diagonal placement seems like you're wasting space.

If it was too long to fit (rarely happens), I'd set it aside for a re-cut. No wood that is good enough to burn in the stove will ever go in a fire pit. I've got several acres of thick woods where I can pick up all the trash wood I would ever need for a fire pit. I work too hard for my stove wood to burn it outside just for fun.

Now wait a minute.........are we talking magnetic or true north ? If true is used, do we all know our local variation before we go setting the splits in with reckless abandon ?

Also, but no less important, has the compass been swung to account for magnetic deviation ? (a big problem in cast iron stoves)

And the other evening, on NPR, I heard that the pole is currently moving and causing airport runways to be re-designated [because they are named according to their magnetic heading].

So, all the wood burners who worry about it are gonna have to relearn how to load their stoves. Man, what a hassle.

I have a forced air furnace oil/wood combo and about an hour before I lay down I load the hell out of it alternating NS EW layers, I let it get cookin then choke it down, usually I get vertical before the oil has to fire and I punched the flu yesterday she was pretty clean I've put about 4 cord thru so far, JMO

hard aground said:
Now wait a minute.........are we talking magnetic or true north ? If true is used, do we all know our local variation before we go setting the splits in with reckless abandon ?

Also, but no less important, has the compass been swung to account for magnetic deviation ? (a big problem in cast iron stoves)

Ooo... I can see where I'm going now!! I've been trying to get smoke rings out of my chiminey for years LOL

I split all my wood into perfect 4"x4" squares.

Hanko said:
SteveKG said:

Ya no Sheet, put the wood in the damn stove and burn it

Same here. AND you are supposed to leave air gaps.I thought the fuller it is the more heat you got.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.