NE Tree/Leaf ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
The trees are leaving these nice green identification tags on them now. It's kind of nice.

Sometimes it can be still hard to tell. Unfortunately I didn't grab more pictures but this one has deeply furroughed bark, alternate branches, and plain oak looking wood. Otherwise I think it looks like sassafrass/Black walnut/BL type bark. It is also surrounded by a bunch of oaks/beech.

Attached pic of the juvenile leaves. Any guesses? Swamp white oak or chestnut oak?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170503_132942.jpg
    20170503_132942.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 206
I thing Chestnut Oak. Is it high-n-dry or low-n-wet where it's growing?

Hey TreeGoomba, I guess I would say it is high and dry. It's in a woody yard/oakey kind of wood forest.

Is Chestnut the same burning characteristics as Quercus Alba?

Last edited:
this one has deeply furroughed bark
From your pic the leaves aren't fully emerged, but big, blocky ridged bark is a good ID for chestnut oak. Variations of leaves from some white oak spp. (Q. michauxii, Q. muehlenbergii and Q. bicolor) http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=243 can have similar shaped leaves, but their bark tends to more similar semblance to straight white oak Q. alba (flakey, scaly, and light), but the blocky brown bark of chestnut oak is distinctive that makes it a good identifying chracteristic.

From your pic the leaves aren't fully emerged, but big, blocky ridged bark is a good ID for chestnut oak. Variations of leaves from some white oak spp. (Q. michauxii, Q. muehlenbergii and Q. bicolor) http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=243 can have similar shaped leaves, but their bark tends to more similar semblance to straight white oak Q. alba (flakey, scaly, and light), but the blocky brown bark of chestnut oak is distinctive that makes it a good identifying chracteristic.

Ah yes. The VT page really nails it. The bark looks exactly the same as on the Q. montana page. It also has the same yellow flowers and pointed buds. I should start chatting with my friends who were in the VT Wildlife Science school ==c.

There is some clear Q. alba in this area as well and I can tell the bark is clearly different (classic flakey and scaly). Nice to finally get to learn about (and experience) some of the oak species!

The trees are leaving these nice green identification tags on them now. It's kind of nice.

Sometimes it can be still hard to tell. Unfortunately I didn't grab more pictures but this one has deeply furroughed bark, alternate branches, and plain oak looking wood. Otherwise I think it looks like sassafrass/Black walnut/BL type bark. It is also surrounded by a bunch of oaks/beech.

Attached pic of the juvenile leaves. Any guesses? Swamp white oak or chestnut oak?

Thanks.
Try this: https://www.arborday.org/trees/whatTree/WhatTree.cfm?ItemID=W6A

I'd say Chestnut Oak. The wood is very similar to White Oak. I believe it is typically lumped with White Oak in the sawmill.