Neanderthal is a happy camper :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well, my new computer parts arrived the other day, Windows Vista arrived today.
Its together and running and I am using it as I type. So far, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
New system components:
Intel Q6600 Quad core 2.6g x4 basically :) IN theory
2 gig OCZ ram
EVGA Nforce 680i SLI mommy board
EVGA GeoForce 8800 GTS vid card
Asus DVD rom
Samsung DVD-RW
Samsung 500 Gig SATA HD, I will be getting more & running 2 stripped & 2 mirroring those.
I also have a 320 Gig Seagate IDE to put in here, and a 300 Gig USB external and another 20 Gig External for work.
Thermalttake tough power 850watt power supply with modular cables, thats nice, use only what ya need and put the rest in the box it came in for later use.
Coolmaster Centruion CAC T05 case, which for $49.99 is a great buy, and nice case. Everything is black, roms etc.
So quiet and so fast, I love it!!!!!!!
And Windows Vista 64 bit which I got off Ebay for $205.00 including shipping.
Total build- about $1,600.00 after $110.00 in mail in rebates.
These days its cheaper to get a premade Dell, Gateway, HP etc. But I like to build em, and order specific high end parts.
I am sure to be on this computer even more than I ever was, may not be a good thing :) At least in the OL's eyes.
Have lots to learn or actually relearn with the Vista, but I am very impressed so far.

Sounds like a kick-butt system Hog. You won't need an Englander in the office with an 850w room heater. Do you have a secret video operation going or are you a very hardcore gamer?

For sure you can get less expensive, but often the Dells and Gateways have very cheap versions of display cards, ram, hard drives etc. Your machine is likely to outlast them and have a lot more performance potential. And you have the satisfaction of building it yourself. Though to appreciate the additional headroom of the 64 bit OS and additional cores, more ram should be added, especially if doing heavy video and graphics work. How does the new system clock on the Vista compatibility scale? Sounds like a solid 5.

I'm curious, what impresses you most about Vista? I've been working with it for over a year and haven't found much to recommend other than eye candy that's been on the Mac for several years. Have you figured out how to turn off homeland security yet?

BeGreen said:
Sounds like a kick-butt system Hog. You won't need an Englander in the office with an 850w room heater. Do you have a secret video operation going or are you a very hardcore gamer?

For sure you can get less expensive, but often the Dells and Gateways have very cheap versions of display cards, ram, hard drives etc. Your machine is likely to outlast them and have a lot more performance potential. And you have the satisfaction of building it yourself. Though to appreciate the additional headroom of the 64 bit OS and additional cores, more ram should be added, especially if doing heavy video and graphics work. How does the new system clock on the Vista compatibility scale? Sounds like a solid 5.

I'm curious, what impresses you most about Vista? I've been working with it for over a year and haven't found much to recommend other than eye candy that's been on the Mac for several years. Have you figured out how to turn off homeland security yet?

Well I used to be not a semi serious gamer. & Also was a movie trader & burner. I also do some graphics art when I get the gumption. Photoshop CS, Bryce, Poser etc.
Really neat programs. I am no expert at them, but love playing with them to make cool art. Since moving and being on satellite now, gaming is dead (Mega high ping)
But I still like to mess with my graphics programs here and there.

I built the pervious machine back in 2002 when the P4 Northwood just came out. LOL Its done well for 5 years, but getting slow & time to get up to speed.
I used alot of Office programs, and they can be demanding on resources. I wanted something more mutlitask friendly. And I am hoping this new set up takes me where I want to go.

Yes, most of it is the fun & feeling of accomplishment of building the puter with a bunch of specificallly chosen parts & the final product up & running.
It went pretty smooth also, which is always a good thing LOL.

At some point I will be adding another 2 gig of ram, I am researching issues with more than 2 gigs of ram some are experiencing. I don't know that I will have them, but I like to research thoroughly and get it right the first time.

I moved over from XP Pro, which I have liked much better than 95 & 98. No more BSOD, which really annoyed me with those two systems.
Vista pretty much is the eye candy. It does install much faster and easier with alot of preloaded drivers. The security is annoying yes, but with any safety factors, annoyance comes along with it. I have been researching getting rid of or limiting the security. As far as homeland, I hope your in gest? I don't want the big brotha over my shoulder.

Clocks at a solid 5. Some features were 5.9 :) I am back on the old puter until I transfer all over, so I won't fully be in the new one for another week or so.
Then after I settle in, I am going to play with the OC'in. I have seen I can get the 2.6 Quad over 3.6G with OC'in. I am not really into that though. If it does what I want, I am happy. I did want a setup that could if I got the itch to though.

So far I have a couple programs that aren't supported. But I'll replace them or discard them.
As for the gaming, I'll just have to play singleplayer for now, unless cable or fios ever gets back to the mountain here LOL. I won't hold my breath.

I must admit, I have nothing against Macs, I just am Mac ignorant. I know very little about them. I think they are a bit more expensive, but that just hearsay. I just stuck with what I taught myself on/with and thats PC.

No problem running more memory on the 64 bit OS (WinXP64 or Vista64). I have 4GB on my home machine running a quad core and 16GB at work. Both happy campers with Vista64 and XP64. Though do be sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers if you go over 4GB. The older driver did not account for >4GB.

If your program is not supported, try running it in XP compatibility mode. That often works.

Cool that you've kept up wiht Poser and Bryce. They're sweet programs.

Vista is a much more attractive OS, I had a skin for XP to make it look better. Turning off the security police (are you sure you want to move that file?), is pretty easy and improves the experience. I let a good hardware firewall do the heavy protection.

Not to thread jack, but I saw englander mentioned. If you're still thinking of that stove Hogz, I'd wait. There should be something in between the little 13 and the big 30 that might be just right for you coming out in the future.

Corie said:
Not to thread jack, but I saw englander mentioned. If you're still thinking of that stove Hogz, I'd wait. There should be something in between the little 13 and the big 30 that might be just right for you coming out in the future.

Hmmm... Sounds like something that shouldn't be put on the market until it has, well, like, 1,000 sq. ft. basement office testing in the real world.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:

Hmmm... Sounds like something that shouldn't be put on the market until it has, well, like, 1,000 sq. ft. basement office testing in the real world.

Howd you know my basement was 1200 sf BB? :) Does that include delivery also?

Good to see ya Corie, hope things are great down thar yonder yall :)
Next time you make it to your ma & pa's gimme a buzz, I'll get ya a few beers.

Hogwildz said:
Well, my new computer parts arrived the other day, Windows Vista arrived today.
Its together and running and I am using it as I type. So far, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
New system components:
Intel Q6600 Quad core 2.6g x4 basically :) IN theory
2 gig OCZ ram
EVGA Nforce 680i SLI mommy board
EVGA GeoForce 8800 GTS vid card
Asus DVD rom
Samsung DVD-RW
Samsung 500 Gig SATA HD, I will be getting more & running 2 stripped & 2 mirroring those.
I also have a 320 Gig Seagate IDE to put in here, and a 300 Gig USB external and another 20 Gig External for work.
Thermalttake tough power 850watt power supply with modular cables, thats nice, use only what ya need and put the rest in the box it came in for later use.
Coolmaster Centruion CAC T05 case, which for $49.99 is a great buy, and nice case. Everything is black, roms etc.
So quiet and so fast, I love it!!!!!!!
And Windows Vista 64 bit which I got off Ebay for $205.00 including shipping.
Total build- about $1,600.00 after $110.00 in mail in rebates.
These days its cheaper to get a premade Dell, Gateway, HP etc. But I like to build em, and order specific high end parts.
I am sure to be on this computer even more than I ever was, may not be a good thing :) At least in the OL's eyes.
Have lots to learn or actually relearn with the Vista, but I am very impressed so far.

Sigh.... all that great technology and it being wasted on Vista...

You have my deepest sympathies - All that cool hardware and then to put Bad Vista on it.... :-/

Enjoy the DRM and security holes...

Attachments

• BadVista_no_littering.png
    BadVista_no_littering.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 354
I love it, now for Office Ultimate 2007 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.