Nearly 100 used pellet stoves for sale on Craigslist ,western Ma.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest I hadn't really thought about multi-fuel before and as such never really learned the difference between pellet only vent and multi-fuel vent. I have no problems using pellet only if that ok as long as I keep it clean, but as I plan on selling the house potentially in the next couple years, what happens when the new residents don't practice the same burning principles and god forbid something happens and I am the one that installed the not-to-spec vent? Even though I got a bunch of elbows, adjustable length pieces, and probably 20 foot of pipe, its still only like $300 worth of venting if memory serves, not going to go broke if I have to replace it. Maybe I could rig it up in the garage or basement if I decide to put the current burner out there. But I doubt I'll find a great deal on something really good, so I'll likely keep what I got.

No, you don't. Normal Pellet only vent is fine for corn and other non-pellet fuels so long as you keep it clean and don't let the ash sit in it all summer. That long idle period with it being dirty is what corrodes the stainless liner.....and the stove itself.

I'd love to try burning corn, didn't think I could though with just pellet vent pipe. What exactly am I looking for when buying corn to burn?

I'd love to try burning corn, didn't think I could though with just pellet vent pipe. What exactly am I looking for when buying corn to burn?

The easiest way to determine what, when and how is use the search button at the top of the page and search corn burning....

Reactions: tjnamtiw
14% moisture or less, usually. Thats about it.

14% moisture or less, usually. Thats about it.

Try 12% RM or less. 14 will get you a mess and not muc heat.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
burn 14% all the time with no problems...so take that...lol.

Lets dissect it a bit further... How are you determining the RM for starters? The guy at the elevator told you it was 14% or the farmer told you it was 14% or are you testing it yourself with a moisture tester like a Delmhorst?

If you are getting corn for a storage facility (like a coop or elevator) it will be 12% or less because corn in storage over 12% tends to mold so anytine it's stored it's dryed to 12 or less.....

If it's coming out of the field on a gravity wagon, it can be anything moisture wise but I will tell you, if the farmer, any farmer for that matter stores the corn in grain tanks at their farm, they will dry it down to 12%.

I know, I farm.

But please elaborate, I'm all ears...

Last edited:
I'm coming out with a new multi-fuel unit next year. It burns free fuel! It will run on idiots, morons, and jackazzes. No foreseen fuel shortage anytime soon. Any takers?

There are about 20 stoves for sale on Craigslist here. Most of them have been listed since early fall too. Decent deals sell quick while the dreamers and people that are very, very PROUD of their junk seem to still be sitting on their boat anchors. Many think knocking a few hundred off of retail is a bargain or something. Go figure.

Reactions: bogieb
I'm coming out with a new multi-fuel unit next year. It burns free fuel! It will run on idiots, morons, and jackazzes. No foreseen fuel shortage anytime soon. Any takers?

There are about 20 stoves for sale on Craigslist here. Most of them have been listed since early fall too. Decent deals sell quick while the dreamers and people that are very, very PROUD of their junk seem to still be sitting on their boat anchors. Many think knocking a few hundred off of retail is a bargain or something. Go figure.

I'll take one, no make it 2. Sounds like a really good deal fuel cost wise....

Same with CL here. There are some really fugly units that the owners want a mint for.

It's said that one mans junk is another mans treasure but I have trouble seeing that..... just say'in.

This nice older stove has been for sale since early last fall and a steal at $399!!!

Attachments

• 00505_bL3y5CbbosF_600x450.jpg
    00505_bL3y5CbbosF_600x450.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 273
This nice older stove has been for sale since early last fall and a steal at $399!!!

Blow it out with compressed air and a 5 gallon finish and she's good as new......

I think that one is on my local CL................

Ash and rust is probably the only thing holding that old iron together

Lets dissect it a bit further... How are you determining the RM for starters? The guy at the elevator told you it was 14% or the farmer told you it was 14% or are you testing it yourself with a moisture tester like a Delmhorst?

If you are getting corn for a storage facility (like a coop or elevator) it will be 12% or less because corn in storage over 12% tends to mold so anytine it's stored it's dryed to 12 or less.....

If it's coming out of the field on a gravity wagon, it can be anything moisture wise but I will tell you, if the farmer, any farmer for that matter stores the corn in grain tanks at their farm, they will dry it down to 12%.

I know, I farm.

But please elaborate, I'm all ears...
Sorry to inform you but 15% is the preferred moisture which can be stored safely with aeration. Think about this for a minute. when I as a farmer sell corn I get paid full market price for 15% corn. Sure if I want to dry it to 12 I could but why waste the money if I don't have too? Some well known facts are we can and do store corn at 15% and it is top quality. If you over dry corn down to 12% it will have lots of cracks and fines considered FM or damaged corn and we get a penalty for it. I realize that different parts of the country dry corn differently but about the only time we see corn dried down to 12% is if the producer is using the bin dry system where the hot air is being driven from the bottom of the bin to the top which will naturally over dry the bottom few feet of corn in the bin. I do know neighbors who drop 21% corn in large diameter bins and use just air to dry it down to 15% But they use many large fans to do it and if they get a wet and cold fall they end up freezing the bin in Dec and having to thaw it out in the spring and run the fans to complete the drying process.
Most farmers around here have gone to what we call continuous flow systems which use a separate dryer which dries the corn down to 18-19% and then it is put into a large bin hot. As it is cooled off by fans the moisture level of 15 % is reached.
All of these farmers have very good moisture testers and can check the dryers which use their own built in moisture testers.

Reactions: BrotherBart
;lol yeh you tell em rona.....lol. Its 14% here. Maybe he's farmin wacky weed.

Wacky tabacky is a better cash crop.....

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Well yeah, he paid for install too, which might have included repairs to his existing chimney. But, if you tell people you paid that much, they will think they are getting a real steal at 2/3 the cost.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
This guy has a pellet furnace for sale - if you are a looking in the Materials section, he is firm on one price. Guess if you are are looking for heavy equipment, you get a better price.

I prefer suckers for fishing. Same guy must be an easy sell at the car dearship too.

Well yeah, he paid for install too, which might have included repairs to his existing chimney. But, if you tell people you paid that much, they will think they are getting a real steal at 2/3 the cost.

Harley's and Harmans deem to have the same qualitites in common... perceived value._g

Harley's and Harmans deem to have the same qualitites in common... perceived value._g

I would much rather have a Harman than a Harley. Harmans stoves are like the long haul BMW bikes. Bullet proof. Expensive but worth every dime. Don't like the price tags on either. I like all bikes but I like to ride instead of wrench. My time is limited. Harley has drastically improved from their AMF days which pinned them as oil leaking high maintenance garage anchor bikes.

As for Harley pricing I agree with that being comparable to Harmans. I think some Harleys are very cool but some are about as tacky as purple shag carpet and orange astro turf on the front porch. Another thing that makes me not want a Harley is all the wanna be bad azzes with their pansy azz little leather vests with all the girl scout badges attached. Choir singers by day but mean dew rag wearing tools every weekend. Tools! Too many yuppies riding them trying to be cool.

I see them all of the time rolling out to the Rabbit Hash General store. Bunch of posers acting like wanna be tough guys trying to make people think they are some type of Outlaw or Hells Angels. Not even close. And what's with all these same clowns acting like they were POW's or MIA's? NOT COOL. That is actually a crime called stolen valor. Not cool either when most haven't even been thru basic training.

I am a member of the Harmans Angels. Now I will take my bad azz self on out to the garage and fire up my KLR. LOL! Harman needs to come out with a KLR price guide then they will have the market locked up.

Reactions: rona
Don't knock those Chinese KLR's. I know of 3 on this forum alone..... There is a bike thats been basically unchanged for over 2 decades except price increases of course. Like a Harman, dead nutz reliable unlike a Harman, you don't have to clean it regularly, in fact, a KLR looks better...dirty.

No premium fuel needed either. Runs on the cheapo stuff just fine. You can't ride the Harman to the store for a 12 pack either......::P

Chinese KLRs? Anyone have an example of one?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Status
Not open for further replies.