Necessary to put pads under feet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan R-M

Dec 3, 2013
Southern Ohio
Hey all,
Just getting ready to place my PE True North in its final position before hooking it up. I did a fancy tile job for its hearth, and I'm wondering if folks usually put some kind of pad or shim or something between the feet and the tile. From the perspective of vanity, I don't want to the tile scratched (at least right away). Also, because it won't sit perfectly flat, I'll need to shim one foot anyway.
Any thoughts?

Hey all,
Just getting ready to place my PE True North in its final position before hooking it up. I did a fancy tile job for its hearth, and I'm wondering if folks usually put some kind of pad or shim or something between the feet and the tile. From the perspective of vanity, I don't want to the tile scratched (at least right away). Also, because it won't sit perfectly flat, I'll need to shim one foot anyway.
Any thoughts?

Could you use a piece of thin wonderboard for the one short leg.

Also how do you like the true north? I have one on order and it should be in next week

I love how it looks, and I think it will be a good size for our space, but I haven't fired it up yet. The showroom gave us a big discount on their display stove 'cause they hadn't had anyone express interest it and wanted it cleared out. I'll let you know when I get it hooked up and fired...

Reactions: Tyler
I love how it looks, and I think it will be a good size for our space, but I haven't fired it up yet. The showroom gave us a big discount on their display stove 'cause they hadn't had anyone express interest it and wanted it cleared out. I'll let you know when I get it hooked up and fired...

Sounds great thanks!!

Just noticed your from southern Ohio. Who was the dealer you went through for your stove

Vonderhaar's Stove Shop. Ha! I didn't see your location either. We had settled on the True North between the reviews we saw, the size it is, and the value (for quality of manufacturer) it was. Then we went looking around to actually touch one and they were the only folks who had one in stock!
I don't know if you found the same when you went looking, but nobody, including this shop, could tell us anything about the stove. Nothing good, nothing bad, nothing. It felt like no one was really trying to sell one at all, even the shop which had one in their possession. I was glad I knew what I wanted :)

I would think that unless you're in an area prone to earthquakes, tornadoes or mud slides that once you put that stove in place it shouldn't move any. I know my stove hasn't moved any since putting it on the hearth . . . well that's not completely true . . . I did pull it out a few weeks ago to start working on tiling the back of the hearth.

As for a shim . . . I used a few washers under one leg . . . that you never see . . . unless you move the woodstove to tile behind the hearth.

Reactions: Tyler and Dan R-M
Vonderhaar's Stove Shop. Ha! I didn't see your location either. We had settled on the True North between the reviews we saw, the size it is, and the value (for quality of manufacturer) it was. Then we went looking around to actually touch one and they were the only folks who had one in stock!
I don't know if you found the same when you went looking, but nobody, including this shop, could tell us anything about the stove. Nothing good, nothing bad, nothing. It felt like no one was really trying to sell one at all, even the shop which had one in their possession. I was glad I knew what I wanted :)

After using this wonderful forum I decided on the True North as well. But I wanted to look at one in person first. I'm 30 miles east of Cincy. So I called Vonderhaar's as well and the lady acted like she had never heard of one and they didn't have one on the showroom floor (July 2014). So I called another PE dealer being Martins Hearth and Home. He is a Amish guy on the east side of Hillsboro. It was about 1.5hr for me. He had one sitting on the fllor and talked highly of it. He stayed open an hour later so I could make it there after work on a Friday. That really impressed me as well as the stove. So I put a deposit down and he is in process of getting me one in. The floor model was a pedestal and I wanted the legs lol. $995 out the door. Vonderhaar's could've ordered me one in and been closer but I appreciated the fact the Amish fella kept true to his word and stayed open for me.

Thanks for the thoughts, FFJake.
Yeah, Tyler, they only had one on the floor till March, and seemed glad to be rid of it. And if I'd had to order one I would have gone somewhere else, too. The phone calls I had with them were weird, and the first visit, when I went to look at it, there was a seriously grumpy vibe. And it was like someone had covertly put the True North there - they didn't know anything about it, couldn't answer any questions, and didn't push me on it at all. But when I went to pick it up everyone in the place (and most of them had nothing to do with the sale) were friendly and happy. They printed out all the documentation off of the PE website for me and all. They sold it to us for $900.
I would really love to be able to say great things about Vonderhaar's, but I can't really. I don't know if they had me pegged as a low-end buyer or what, but till I came to pay and pick up they weren't all that friendly. The other PE places I called (who also didn't have any information about the TN) were a lot nicer, so I'm glad you went on to one of them.

Reactions: Tyler
Status
Not open for further replies.