Need a bigger insert am considering this Lopi Freedom Bay on Ebay. What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The listing is gone. The answer is simple the only stove worth purchasing is a Pacific Energy. Ask anyone here. J/K The Lopi Freedom Bay is a good stove.

Ok that doesn't work either. I don't know why it's not pasteing the correct link. I guess it's an omen not to buy this stove. I give up, sorry to waste you guys time.

OMG. They are selling it because their child has asthma. So they are going to install a OWB!

Past tense, it sounds like they've already switched to the OWB. But maybe not. Oy! Tons more money and much less healthy.

It now reads that they are switching to a central boiler unit which may be oil fired right? Anyway, I own the pictured stove. Mine is from 1992 but still EPA certified. This Lopi is the biggest one that Lopi makes with a big firebox that makes loading front to back or side to side possible. They claim it will take a 24" log but I'm here to tell you that that is BS unless you go crossways and such. 16-18" log size is great. Mine was included in a 60s built house that I recently bought. The house is only 1700 square feet but with single pane windows and the typical poor insulation of that era. In the winter I ran the Lopi at 600 as much as possible to get loads of heat out. The trouble was overcoming the loss of heat from the house. Now that the temps are near 50 outside the Lopi is too big and I find the house at almost 80 degrees if I'm not careful. I build a couple of fires a day and let the house cool down between fires.

My only gripes are the squeaky damper rod on top, the stiff draft control, and the noisy blower. The damper controls being stiff and squeaky might be related to the lack of a rain cap on the chimney for 15 years as well as father time. The blower unit is actually two motors that don't seem to really move much air but do make some noise. Maybe typical but seems excessive. Again, time and bearings in this disty environment may be why the noise seems loud. When I say not much air I mean it is not like a hair dryer, you can feel the current up close but don't worry about blowing your hat off.

The stove is attractive with a very large window and the internal components are cheap to replace. It drafts well through my approximately 14' of 6" liner with minimal overfire issues. The wife runs it during the day and if it wasn't easy then I would hear about it.

I noticed on the Ebay pics, it has white run streaks down the back of the surround & those brackets or hinge looking parts on the back of the surround looks rusted. Thats a couple red flags in my book, especially in a 1-1/2 yr old insert.

Yep, I agree red flags. Be careful when buying a used insert, my buddy got blasted when he bought a Quadra-fire that seemed "To good to be True". Check the prices on new ones (watch out the price of steel just went up so up goes those wood stove prices...) or look for a used one in person with someone that is experienced and knowledgeable on woods stove. Remember no guarantee on a used one and you might have a stove for a very long time if you take care of it.

If this is something that you will be using to heat your house I would say don't buy used, get the warranty on a new one and then you will be protected if something goes wrong. If you buy a Pacific Energy Summit you will be really protected and be really happy, same goes with the Avalon Olympic. I am not recommending my Quadra-Fire 5100 insert yet because I have not properly used it, it is a sharp looking stove though, that pumps out a lot of heat. I just can't tell you what kind of long overnight burns you will get because I am dedicated to my Summit right now.

If you want more advice on the Summit call out Roospike, Hogwildz, and Gunner or look at my old posts where they helped me. Just do search for "JFK" and you will find my posts.

JFK said:
Yep, I agree red flags. Be careful when buying a used insert, my buddy got blasted when he bought a Quadra-fire that seemed "To good to be True". Check the prices on new ones (watch out the price of steel just went up so up goes those wood stove prices...) or look for a used one in person with someone that is experienced and knowledgeable on woods stove. Remember no guarantee on a used one and you might have a stove for a very long time if you take care of it.

If this is something that you will be using to heat your house I would say don't buy used, get the warranty on a new one and then you will be protected if something goes wrong. If you buy a Pacific Energy Summit you will be really protected and be really happy, same goes with the Avalon Olympic. I am not recommending my Quadra-Fire 5100 insert yet because I have not properly used it, it is a sharp looking stove though, that pumps out a lot of heat. I just can't tell you what kind of long overnight burns you will get because I am dedicated to my Summit right now.

If you want more advice on the Summit call out Roospike, Hogwildz, and Gunner or look at my old posts where they helped me. Just do search for "JFK" and you will find my posts.

Another satisfied PE Summit owner :) I feel all warm & fuzzy inside, nah no I don't, but I do have a grin ;)

Oooh, like where's Waldo. The front burn tube is spun around so that the holes point in the wrong direction meaning the roll pin was removed probably meaning the guy at least cleaned the chimney once but was too lazy to put the roll pins back in to hold it in place.

All of my roll pins are gone and an occasional split will spin the tube and the air holes point the wrong way. I've always wondered if that matters, I think it does.

Once, the lousy burner tube fell down into the fire. I had to do some quick welding glove work to get it back in place before the fire went nuts.

The tubes position affect the insert efficiency. Get the roll pins that they have now. They're more permanent the old ones could work their way out.

Thats $1,250.00 + freight unless you live close. I did the freight calculator and was about $465.00 to hear in PA. Now the $1,2500.00 insert just went to $1,719.00 more or less depending on where you live. That deal just went to sheet. I'd look into a new insert personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.