Need a bigger stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetenfamily

Aug 19, 2014
Indiana
We are looking at a discontinued quadra-fire cumberland gap at a local shop for $1800. (also getting a moisture meter to check wood, and possibly a taller stack, per my other thread. We need to heat approx 2500 sq ft. at least partially.

We aren't stuck on the stuck on the cumberland gap one, not sure what else is out there that is similar. Needs to be clean burn, take a 20" log or bigger. Glass front. Longer burn time for overnight would be good as well, at least 10 hrs would be nice. Would love to find a green one, but seems like the companies are discontinuing that color?

Our main concern about the qf cumberland is there is no lip on the side where you load firewood? Anyone had an issue with that? Our dw has a 2" lip that helps keep coals from rolling out.

Thanks for any help!

Well insulated with the exception to one wall which is being fixed this fall. It doesn't have to be super warm upstairs. (which is farthest from the stove)

Okay - for fair comparison...I run a 3 cuft stove (Isle Royale) and if I am pushing it for heat (say 550-650 stove top temps), I am gonna be in the 8-9 hour heating cycle. This is AFTER the stove has been established. What does that mean?? I am maintaining the stove vs. a cold start up.

Using that as a baseline you can figure that at the SAME output temps you are gonna get a shorter burn time - simply because the stove is smaller (fuel load). Can you run it slower and get longer burn times? Possibly, but not a guarantee. Some of that depends on the stove and install.

Where abouts in Indiana are you located? Climate is another big factor in stove size.

Agree with Jags that a bigger firebox makes more sense for longer burn times. Considering the layout of your house, though, if you can't get good heat transfer then a big stove may overheat the stove area while the other side of the house stays cool.

If I was getting a new stove for myself (assuming a house of your size) I would be looking at a 3+ cu ft cat stove from Woodstock, Buck or Blaze King... the cat letting you run it slower/cooler and get longer burn times. Buck would make sense since you already have the 8" setup, and might not be as pricy as Blaze King. But there are plenty of great non-cat choices, too.

$1800 sounds like a very good price for that stove, even if it is a bit undersized for your needs. But a cheaper/bigger Englander NC30 would give more bang for the buck, and a pricier Buck cat would give more Buck for the buck (longer burn times, more control, less wood used, etc.).

Regardless of how you go, try to burn only wood that has been cut/split/stacked for a full year or more... that way you will maximize heat output and stop killing your combustors (if you stay with a cat).

It sounds like you want something good looking and good heating for that hearth. The Isle Royale would be a good choice. Did hubby check this out while at the Quad dealer?

Thanks BG - I thought this had a familiar ring to it.

I guess my prior post was a bit weak in its point, but consider me another vote for going larger than the cumberland.

What other stove lines does your dealer, or other dealers that are close, carry? I think I might be inclined to go with a convective stove with a blower, i.e. a stove with an outer shell or sheet metal shields around the firebox. Then the heat can be pulled off the stove with the blower, and that will aid in moving warm air through the house. If you can see these stoves in person, and listen to the blower, you'll know weather the blower noise will be an issue, in case you spend a lot of time in the stove room.
My next stove will have a welded steel firebox so as to avoid the problem of leaking seams down the road...

Sorry thought it would be best to start a new thread. He like the isle royal, but didn't ask cost. The local place carries jotul, napoleons, blaze king, Harmon, hearthstone.

Talked to another dealer today 1 1/2 hr away he had jotul, qf, lopi, Avalon, buck, pacific, enerzone , & hearthstone, liked the salesperson there better.

Look at 3 cu ft stoves. All of these companies sell them. You have a choice in steel, castiron, soapstone or cast iron clad steel.

f0dbe3731713f278f509cd599b1f3bb8.jpg

Here is the new quadra fire loping along and heating us happily!

Looks good!
Your hearth looks a lot like mine.
Any pics not so close up and not sideways? lol

Looking good! Enjoy that big boy.

For three years I ran my F600 pretty hard and it held it's own against our drafty 3500 sq. ft. 100 year old farm house. For the first two years the fuel oil tank never budged off 7/8's full!
It has a 3.0 cu. ft. fire box. I love this stove. Well worth considering.

Looks great. Nice and cozy warm.

c2b303de8377801c17315e6672dc0cc3.jpg
see if this looks better. Please excuse the clutter.

I recognize that green LL Bean wood bag . . . got one at the start of this year to replace my old Lowes/Home Depot bag . . . I love this bag much more than my old one.

Your giving me way too many good ideas for another stove and hearth setup. Looks really nice

Status
Not open for further replies.