Need a cat? DW 2460

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toyarmy

Dec 8, 2010
louisville, ky
We purchased our dutchwest 2460 last winter from a local distributor, used. They said they burned it periodically in the warehouse for a year before that.

I feel like last winter it was much more efficient than it seems to be this winter. No matter what I do, I can't get the catalyst above 700 degrees. Is the cat done? Is there an easy way to tell?

I thought I read somewhere about a more economical way to replace the cat (cutting out from a larger, more affordable piece, maybe?) than getting the dw specific one. Anyone know about this?

The best way to check it is by taking the top off of the stove. There are 4 - 7/16" bolts that hold the top down, remove them, then remove the fragile combustion box that surrounds the cat. Vacuum out all the ash, I would bet that is the problem.

If it needs a cat, buy the cat that's made for it, it's cheap enough.

We'll try that.

What should we be looking for on the cat to tell whether or not it's the problem?

Says you're in southern Indiana. You're not far from us.

We purchased our dutchwest 2460 last winter from a local distributor, used. They said they burned it periodically in the warehouse for a year before that.

I feel like last winter it was much more efficient than it seems to be this winter. No matter what I do, I can't get the catalyst above 700 degrees. Is the cat done? Is there an easy way to tell?

I thought I read somewhere about a more economical way to replace the cat (cutting out from a larger, more affordable piece, maybe?) than getting the dw specific one. Anyone know about this?
In the event that you do need a cat you can't beat the price here for a S/S cat that fits your stove:

http://store.woodstove.com/home.php?cat=265

Ray

We'll try that.

What should we be looking for on the cat to tell whether or not it's the problem?

Says you're in southern Indiana. You're not far from us.
All you can really do is make sure it's intact, and free of ash. If it's intact, just vacuum it out gently. If you remove it you will need to get a new gasket that surrounds the cat.
I bet it's ash causing the problem.
Or, the wood. How dry is the wood that you are using?

For sure clean that cat. Vacuum will work for the most part but because of how it was used and probably never cleaned, you may want to do a vinegar/water cleaning. I can send you the information on how to do this if you wish.

Now, I suppose the cat probe could be bad...
Can you see the combustor glowing when looking through the glass from below, up through the holes in the baffle? It can be hard to see through the baffle; You might have to move your head around until you can get a good viewing angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.