Need a chimney for an englander 13nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no chimney, but I do have a low sloped metal roof in snow country. Sometimes (like last winter the ice collected at the eaves up to 8" thick, before it dropped to the ground) Am I better off building a simple chimney outside the building, so that the mechanical action of the forming ice won't defeat the strength of a masonry chimney? Or would you suggest that I go through my metal roof so that the chimney is moderately warm (less creosote) and try my hand at waterproofing a metal roof against leaks (with no approved fittings) and then fighting the ice formation that would put pressuere against the chimney standpipe?

Between a rock a rock and a hard place

I think Hogz has presented ideas for flashing on a metal roof before. Maybe he can enlighten us again.

Best thing to do would be to go straight up out the roof. After the chimney is in place you could add a snow diverter to take the pressure off the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.