Need a Good Coffee Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junksta

Oct 13, 2006
Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
I think this would be the perfect place to get input on brewing that, mmm good cup of coffee, while gettin the fire going in the morning. I want to buy a good coffee maker and can't find any unbiased sites for suggestions. Any good brands of coffee you like? Folgers and some Kona when I can afford it are my normal taste. Cuisenart is the best maker I have found but it just conked out.

20+year old Sunbeam Deluxe percolator - works every-time - no filters needed. Cost $4.00 at a garage sale. Money well spent - in my book. Maxwell House or King of Arabia (arabica) on special occasions. Kinda bought the perc as a fluke, but have loved it and the brew it produces - ever since.

I bought a Kuerig B-70 about 6 months ago for my shop. Makes one cup at a time, very quickly, perfectly every time.

We don't use it much, but the Krups unit we have has a thermal carafe so the coffee doesn't get burnt. Plus, there's no hot plate to burn killowatts.

Wait, Wait.............the best pot, for the best money..........

We have bought two - refurbs....
http://www.jr.com/capresso/pe/CP2_441_hy_RB/
Capresso MT500 - stainless carafe, insulated. Webwidow did a lot of research, and they are tops for the money. I was using a French Press for a long time, but this makes a good brew.

Don't forget to try the Woodburning Roasted Coffee from Matts.
http://mattscoffee.com/

hes a forum member - I got a free sample, and it was much better than the local gourmet beans. I just ordered more....

Im sorta bias to Bunn and my step mom working for bunn has nothing to do with it. I dont have one cause im too cheap to spend that kinda money on coffee since im used to drinkn' textile mill coffee that varies from one scoop to five scoops of coffee

My last few pots have all been drip and all been Mr. Coffee drip style pots with a metal mesh filter. The most important features to me are delayed brewing and a 12 cup minimum capacity. I fill up a cup of coffee for the road and a big honkin thermos with the rest and have it all finished by noon every day. Yes, every day. I cut the daily black brew with the hazelnut flavor creamer from the cooler at the supermarket.

The standard pots that are under 100$ all seem to be made by the same factory and all seem to only last a few years. Mine usually fail by leaking.

I am a folgers man unless I stumble into some darker starbucks beans which I grind and brew the same way.

Webmaster said:
was using a French Press for a long time, but this makes a good brew.

A French press may be a good interim measure, while you evaluate options.... I used one for some time, as well - with good results.

SnaykeByte said:
I bought a Kuerig B-70 about 6 months ago for my shop. Makes one cup at a time, very quickly, perfectly every time.

We also use the Kuerig and love it for a quick cup of coffee. Amazon has a great assortment of coffee for it so it's easy to find something that suits you taste. For a pot of coffee we have a Faberware which has the thermal pot and no hot plate which is great.
Ed

Our Bunn was the best we've ever had - paid a good $ for it - lasted for a few years then kicked the bucket. Never got a good cup of coffee out of Mr. Coffee - Using a GE now - it does a pretty good job and doesn't leak........I miss my Bunn. There's always a Grande Americano waiting at Starbucks that's always perfect! Now that we converted to a pellett stove we can still afford an occasional expensive cup of Joe.

We have a Keurig at work, I'm hooked.

Bought one for home and its the best coffee maker I have ever purchased. Well worth the money.

We have a Keurig in our house. I am the only one that drinks coffee, the wife doesnt care for it, so we only go through a few cups a day. The Keurig is so nice, I just put a pod in and wala a cup of coffee. You can also buy a pod that has a screen in it that you grind your own beans or use pre ground coffee to save money, that way you dont need to buy the pods all the time.

i've been using a grind and brew for the last 5 years

the grinding is a bit loud BUT it's an excellent alarm clock

300_75892.jpg

mine also has a insulated caraf - if you have a big lots near you these go on sale all the time for $60.00 (half of full retail)

We also have the G&B;, good coffee. As mentioned, don't let it catch you unaware early in the morning stumbling through the kitchen because you're thirsty for a glass of water from the night before. That grinder goes off and you'll wet yourself!

dlpz said:
We have a Keurig at work, I'm hooked.

Bought one for home and its the best coffee maker I have ever purchased. Well worth the money.

I am also hooked on the one at work (Sumatran Reserve . . . Mmmmm).

Where did you buy your Keurig from?

I used a Braun Aromaster for about 10 years...it still works, but the indicator light went out, and I found myself leaving it on all the time. So now, we're using a Mr. Coffee that my wife had laying around. I'll definitely be buying the Aromaster again when the Mr. Coffee goes

http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/breakfast/coffeemakers/aromaster.html

These things brew GREAT coffee, and are only about $25. Read some reviews on it...

As for coffee: Equal Exchange - organic and fair trade coffee. We go through a co-op, so it ends up being about $6.20/lb in 5 lb bags. I like the Cafe Nica and Guatemalen, bith dark roast. Beats the hell out folgers or maxwell house.

This winter will be brewed on my stainless percolator over the wood cook stove.

We have a Bunn with a stainless thermal carafe and love it! Hot coffee in 3 minutes or less and I timed it right out of the box. We have been drinking Eight Oclock coffee for years. It does happen to be a Consumer Reports "Best Buy". We like Caribou coffe more, but it is more than twice the price!!

Why bother with a coffee maker that costs money and takes up space on your counter? I use a teakettle, a thermal carafe, a Melitta cone and filter. Fill up the carafe with water and pour the water into the kettle. Set the Melitta cone and filter into the carafe, add drip coffee to taste (about 6 level tablespoons) and just a sprinkle of salt. When the water comes to a boil, pour it into the cone. When the water drips through, you’ll have coffee that tastes good to the bottom of the carafe and stays hot all day. Heat the water on your woodstove…if the power goes out, you can still have your fix. As for coffee, Folger’s Columbian (purchased with a coupon) does it for me!

check out the geneva site , you sign up for a coffee subscription and get the coffee maker and 2# of coffee for 10 or 12$ and then you can cancel anythime but you get to keep the coffee maker....I have done this twice under my name and then my girlfriends name and they dont hassle you after you cancel Ps buy the gold filter and you never have to invest in coffee filters again

Webmaster said:
Wait, Wait.............the best pot, for the best money..........

We have bought two - refurbs....
http://www.jr.com/capresso/pe/CP2_441_hy_RB/
Capresso MT500 - stainless carafe, insulated. Webwidow did a lot of research, and they are tops for the money. I was using a French Press for a long time, but this makes a good brew.

Don't forget to try the Woodburning Roasted Coffee from Matts.
http://mattscoffee.com/

hes a forum member - I got a free sample, and it was much better than the local gourmet beans. I just ordered more....

Based on your post Craig I checked out Matt's site and found he is having a contest for the best woodpile picture. Winner gets a coffee press / carafe and 3 bags of coffee per month for a year. Here is a link.

BUNN all the way have tried many other brands but this is a beast and the 3 min brew comes in handy ...With a bunnn you can brew a cup that taste just like a coffee shop or restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.