Need a little chimney help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron9876

Sep 2, 2014
North Missouri
i've got everything picked out for running my chimney, just need to buy it. However i have one question i need answered before i can start ordering stuff.

Chimney will go up 2', over 2' to a wall thimble, through the thimble into a T then upwards. My question is can I run straight to the thimble with single wall stove pipe? I feel like if i do that i will violate the clearances for single wall but i cant find anywhere where it says not to do that? Do clearances apply to pipe in all 360 Degrees or is it only perpendicular to the pipe? Wall thimble is going to be duravent-duraplus triple wall thorough wall kit with 9" triple wall section thorough a standard 2x4 exterior wall.

Would it be better to transition to a double wall pipe to reach the thimble?

The only part of the install im a little fuzzy on is connecting the single wall pipe to the thimble. What is and is not allowed and what kind of adapters are their out there to transition. It seems like the through the wall kit comes with a Triple wall to single wall adapter.

Any input from a wood stove veteran would be appreciated...

No problem with single wall to a thimble. The way most are done. What is the combustibles concern? What is the pipe going to be close to? The ceiling?

No, the pipe will approach the wall, clearance will be maintained from the ceiling. I just wasn't sure as the thimble is like 14" Dia or something and the 9 in long pipe will only stick out of the wall a few inches, add another few inches for the adapter to the single wall pipe and it seems that the distance from where the single wall pipe joins the triple wall to the wall exposed around the edge the thimble would be less than the required clearances. Just trying to confirm that is ok.

From your post it sounds like that is the accepted method. Running pipe directly at the wall, the amount of radiant heat that actually hits the wall would be significantly less that if the pipe was running parallel to the wall. I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.