Need a little extension confirmation information:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadOne

Jul 7, 2014
Indiana
Lo all,

Been perusing through this and several other forums to gain some insight on building/installing a hearth extension for my Homestead Hearthmount 8570H wood stove. It is installed on the existing fireplace hearth which is made of fieldstone/flagstone. It sits a couple of inches back from the edge of the front of the existing hearth, which is elevated up from the floor by 10 inches. The stove was properly installed by the dealer on the existing hearth and I bough a cheap portable hearth pad to use on the floor in front of the hearth to get us through the winter. The portable hearth pad was all they said and according to the manual all I 'need' for the protection from possible ember fly in front of the stove, wasn't much about a 1/2" thick insulated pad large enough to meet code.

I want to put in a hearth extension with flagstone to match the existing hearth, I can get the actual matching stone in 1 1/2 average thickness from a couple of different landscape and stone merchants. The extension will be at floor level, not built up to the full height of the existing hearth. When finished the top of the extension should still be 8" below the existing hearth, I will be pulling back the carpet, cutting out the 5/8" subfloor and installing 1/2" BCX plywood on the existing 3/4" flooring that is under the 5/8" subfloor. I/2" Durock cement board on the BCX screwed down to spec, flagstone on the Durock. I'll need to set the stone to the Durock with something... (Thinset?), then after the stone has set tuck point the stone with mortar as I do not think the thinset will be enough to fill the stone in fully to the average height of the flagstone (1 1/2").

Am I on the right track here? Will the thinset adhere the flagstone to the Durock cement board well enough? As for the protection factor I don't believe that will be an issue with this arrangement due to the design of the existing hearth being at this time 10" above the existing carpet line, via HearthStone's installation guidelines in the manual the floor exceeds 9" below the feet of the Hearthstone Homestead Stove on the existing hearth. The original fireplace is a 'true' masonry fireplace on block foundations, and the original hearth is 20" out from the front of the firebox, so it's good.

I'm no mason but in the past I believe the recommendation has been to wet the area down first, then set the stone in mortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.