Need a little help finding a hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
Hello folks,
I recently purchased a Jotul F55 and am now waiting on it to arrive at the dealer. With that big decision out of the way now I can prepare for the install. While I was doing my research I came across a hearth pad similar to the one I'd like to get. It appeared to me to be tinted and translucent so you can still see the floor beneath. Here's what I'm talking about in the photo of the Blaze King Princess.

wood-princess.jpg

We have a rustic maple hardwood floor that runs the length of the house similar to the photo below and I don't want to break it up with tile or a solid colored hearth pad. Our wood stove requires ember protection only so I'd like as thin a pad as possible. After all my googling I haven't found who makes this style pad. Where can I find a tinted translucent pad?

CountryMaple.jpg

Thanks begreen! Those glass pads are very pretty. I'm a little worried it would crack though. Does anyone make a pad that's translucent & tinted but not glass?

It must be non-combustible. I think that means glass if translucent.

Morso is the only one I could find also.......

You may try searching for someone local who sells thick glass for table tops or mirrors. A really thick glass piece with a nice edge (like for a table) could make a good hearth. Thick enough you wouldn't have to worry too bad about cracking.

Reactions: 7acres
Morso is the only one I could find also.......

You may try searching for someone local who sells thick glass for table tops or mirrors. A really thick glass piece with a nice edge (like for a table) could make a good hearth. Thick enough you wouldn't have to worry too bad about cracking.

Well I've sort of done that. I contacted my local glass shop. Showed them what I wanted; 3/8" tempered glass, rounded front edge, standard 1" bevel. They bidded it out to 4 shops who cut and bevel glass. Best quote came back at $540.

I also circled the wagons on the Morso option. The plate I need will cost me $400 plus an additional $180 for shipping (they only ship on flat bed trailers). I was able to confirm they'd deliver it right to my house instead of charging me the same $180 to ship it to the dealer 2hrs away. So I've got to decide what to do. The one difference between the my custom one and Morso's is that I spec'd my custom one to use 3/8" glass. The glass on the Morso is basically 5/16" (8mm). If the Morso is nothing but regular tempered glass then the choice is easy; pay $40 less to have the local shop make me the custom 3/8" version.

But if Morso is using Pyrex or some other special type of 5/16" glass then I'd probably have to go with Morso. I don't want this glass breaking. Do any of you know if Morso's glass hearth plate is anything other than standard tempered glass?

Hello folks,
I recently purchased a Jotul F55 and am now waiting on it to arrive at the dealer. With that big decision out of the way now I can prepare for the install. While I was doing my research I came across a hearth pad similar to the one I'd like to get. It appeared to me to be tinted and translucent so you can still see the floor beneath. Here's what I'm talking about in the photo of the Blaze King Princess.

View attachment 128368

We have a rustic maple hardwood floor that runs the length of the house similar to the photo below and I don't want to break it up with tile or a solid colored hearth pad. Our wood stove requires ember protection only so I'd like as thin a pad as possible. After all my googling I haven't found who makes this style pad. Where can I find a tinted translucent pad?

View attachment 128367
I have a thin black metal hearth pad made by Morso. See the photo below. I also looked at Morso glass pads but decided against in because I afraid it could crack on install. I am quite happy with what I have. I looked high and low for other glass and/or thin hearth pads but I could not find any other options. It seems like these type of products are only available in Europe. My Morso pad was around $225.
pad.jpg

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.