Need a new stove, any suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katecurry

Jan 25, 2009
sout jersey
I have a breckwell F-22. WE have had nothing but problems with this stove, wont start, hopper fires, burn pot pellet build up, ect. We would like to get a better stove. Anyone out there have some good suggestions?
Kate Curry
South Jersey

You will probably get a lot of suggestions. Most people are happy with their Make/model of stove. So, I might as well go ahead and place my suggestion for a Harman. These stoves are built well, burn well, good warranty. Mostly automatic in controlling the burn. Able to keep a very steady temperature.

Of course you still need to consider what is best for your situation.

I'm new with these but I really like my Harman P68. We had a minor problem in the beginning but they have one of the best warranties and from searching around they seem to be one of the best made stoves. Its very easy to use. We caught a good deal on it locally too. They normally go for around 3500 but we they're clearing out some at a local dealer for 2700. That made it very comparable to lesser quality stoves price wise (in my area). Hope that helps.

- rosemarie

I forgot to add in my post above that after some playing with the feed rate and stove temp. my P68 is 0 - 68,000 btus and heats our 3000 sq foot home very nicely, first and second floor. We were even able to get the back bedrooms on the second floor warm. I haven't run my propane since we've got it.

You need to decide on your own what you want in a new stove
such as looks, options and cost first.

Once you narrow it down to what stoves you like, then people
can give you their opinions of them.

I bought an Avalon Astoria made by Travis Industries this past summer, and couldn't be happier...."0" problems so far, and it was a USED stove.

If you do a search, you'll see that there not anywhere near as many posts for problems with either Avalon or Lopi, as there are for many of the other models, as they seem to be pretty reliable and easy to use.

Take a look here: www.travisproducts.com

Your 1st priority should be the BTU range required. Figure out the square feet your tring to heat and go from there.

Remember to go a little bigger so you don't over work a smaller stove. In my book a bigger stove on low is jsut as good as a small stove on high.

And you can always turn up the bigger stove on colder days. The smaller stove might not keep you warm enough.

Don't go grossly over, But give yourself some room to play.

Happy stove hunting.
jay

I am extremely happy with my Englander 25-PDVC. Not the prettiest of stoves but throws heat even on the lowest settings, like nobody's business. Heating 1500 sq. ft. cape. No problems and can be found at HD or Lowe's Summer Heat version. I hear they are going on sale at Lowe's tomorrow. Good Luck!

Remember a stove is only as good as the Dealer Support! If you do decide to go with a Harman or some other stove that you need to go through the dealer for support then the dealer is a very important part of the equation. I have a Harman XXV very happy with the stove but dealer support sucks!

Zero problems with the used St Croix I bought last year. Not the quietest stove around but I haven't even had to adjust the damper since I've owned it.... trouble free. And the Versa-Grate system allows you to forget about cleaning it for a week or more... I usually don't even open the door to clean the glass for two weeks. (but I do empty the ash pan).

Like codebum said..we all like out stoves so its gonna be a tough choice..when I chose mine it was based on need..I needed to heat 2000+ sq.ft of home so I bought a stove that could handle that and then some...also like JTakeman said..don't buy a stove that can only heat your house when its maxxed out..leave your stove alot of breathing room so you don't work it to death..I Love my Harman but its not perfect..some gripes about quality but otherwise the warranty is very good and my dealer has been fantastic about warranty work so far...also make sure you see the stove in action..the dealer should be able to fire it up in the showroom as long as its hooked up and show you how it works..thats what sold me on mine...it was easy to use and cleanup..

We purchased a QuadraFire Mt Vernon AE and are am extreamly pleased - they are controlled via a wall monuted control and you really can set it and forget it. As long as you keep it clean and feed. It also has a quiet and normal setting for the fan modes + multiple safty features. No matter what you select - don't go cheap. We looked at this as a one time purchase in our house and not something that we wanted to upgrade later or take with us if we ever move.

Stay warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.