Need a thermostat pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaRaevn

Sep 2, 2015
Washington State
Was recently having issues (still am actually) with my pellet stove. In an attempt to diagnose and/or bypass the glitch I disconnected my stove from the thermostat in order run it manually. In manual operation the problem did not present.

I did some further cleaning on stove and decided to hook it back up to thermostat (as I would dearly love to have it operate on thermostat). I also changed battery in thermostat, as someone had suggested doing that.

However, since putting it back on thermostat, stove and thermostat are behaving funky. Thermostat is "clicking" more frequently. I usually only hear it click when it is registering that it has dropped below temp setting and so stove then fires up, or clicks when temp has reached desired setting in which stove then goes into low-heat, and cool down cycles. But now stat is "clicking more frequently, and the stove is bouncing in and out of heat and low-heat cycles. When I check what stat is registering when it clicks it is remaining at desired temp setting. I don't understand why stat is "clicking" like it is registering. I don't understand why stove is presenting new glitch.

So, did I mess up some kind of setting in the stat when changing batteries?

It's a Honeywell 5000 series, not hardwired to home, operating on two fresh AAA batteries, Lennox Bella pellet stove, only heat source.

Found this link and have a question: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2026.pdf

Under the Installer Setup Functions, after depressing and holding the left button and the up arrow button, the first step is to choose the System Type. What value am I to enter? I'm confused about choose 2 or 3. I'm thinking 2, but the stove does have fans. Does that mean I need to choose 3?

For function 1 I entered the value 2.
Next function it took me to was 5. I entered the value 3 there.
Next function it took me to was 14. I entered the value 0 there.
Next function it took me to was 27. I left it at 90.
That is all the function options it gave me after selecting the value 2 for System type.

Are these the correct settings for operating the thermostat with the Bella Pellet stove?

What I have is a Honeywell Thermostat, I believe is a Pro5000. Number on it: TH5110D1022. Is this OK for use with Pellet Stove? Two wire hook up, nothing else on it.
I posted a link there in my last response that takes me to Installation set up. Can someone verify for me, if the selections I made (also above in last response) are correct? In another thread someone indicated that this thermostat is not good for "solid fuel heating devices". I need some help understanding what I need, or if it is just set up wrong.

I don't see in the manual where it says that it will work with fireplaces, gas logs or pellet stoves, so I am guessing that it won't work well for your purpose. I am by no means any kind of expert, so I could be wrong.

That thermostat has been designed for exact heat control. I do not believe there is a "swing" setting. It is not a good choice for a pellet stove. It will short cycle like your describing. The only thing you might try is limiting the cycles per hour in the settings but what you really need is a stat with an adjustable swing setting.

DB is right! If your honeywell is anything like my wifi honeywell on my ac it keeps the temp to the exact temp you have it set for. On my pellet stove i use a lux 1500 with adjustable swing temp.

You might try a Lux thermostat. They seem to be fairly popular around here because they're millivolt (i.e. pellet stove) compatible, fairly inexpensive and most of their models offer an adjustable swing. I use their TX500U (the one with the "c" revision designation, so TX500Uc) model on my central AC and set up for a 2 degree swing. Makes the AC run nice and long. Reduces stress on the compressor caused by frequent cycling and really takes the humidity out of the air. Previous owner of the house had a cheap programmable Honeywell with an unused feature to limit cycles per hour. I set it to use the feature for cooling, maxing it out (2 cycles per hour) but it didn't work at all - was kept up the first night I used it listening to the AC turn on for five minutes, then off for 10 until I turned it off altogether. Bought the Lux the next day. The AC system is almost 20 years old; I hope the previous owner didn't do much damage running it like that... Anyway, I intend on using the same Lux TX500U on my Englander 25-PDV.

If you want millivolt, and wifi, and adjustable swing, the list of thermostats gets rather short and expensive rather quickly. In my research, one of the few that does all this is the Radio Controls CT50. About $100 at Amazon. And you'll need a wallwort power adapter to go with it or rig up your own transformer somewhere a long the line. No experience with this one though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.