Need advice about insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Tackett

Oct 17, 2012
Waynesburg, Kentucky
I currently have a wood stove in the basement and I want to put a stove in the upstairs. This is a ranch house with basement. The house is around 2000 sq ft and the basement is about 1400. The upstairs has nothing, it will be a complete install, my issue is the wife. I was just gonna put another stove in, well she wants a fireplace type setting with a mantel to decorate and stone facing etc...what do I do? Is there a fireplace/insert combo? I want it to look like an insert in a fireplace, but how do I achieve that without installing an actual fireplace. I was thinking of an insert with a mantel built around it and a double walled pipe run out the roof. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also house is well insulated and this will be the primary heat for the main floor.

My dealers set up is a fake fireplace built off his wall about 3' or so and tall enough to hide is pipe. He has a nicely placed door on the side to get access to his pipe if need be. It is made completely of metal studs and cement board. When I seen it I could not even tell bit it was a little dark. He said he has vent to release the hot air but genius set up. I don't see him often to get you pix. The hearth is I think flag stone and the face is faux stone.

Yeah, that was my idea, but I am concerned about a great amount of heat building up in the "room".

Are you talking the faux fireplace or the room itself?

I'll give him a call tomorrow to see how he has handled it. I will post back....

So, do the ZC fireplaces put out heat like an insert? I want something that puts out some heat and not like a fireplace that lets it all go up the chimney.

Yes the good ones do. Folks heat their houses with them. Some also have a ductable option which allows you to pipe heat to another part of the house.

Thanks for the info, showed the wife and I guess this is what I will be looking to buy and install.

There are other brands on the market. I just provided a couple links. Go out and explore, ask questions and be patient. This is a costly installation so you should get what fits best. If the prices get intimidating, your wife may be more amenable to a nice freestanding stove with a great fire view when looking at the bottom line costs. For frame of reference, with a straightup chimney this option would run about $3.5-5K. A good zc fireplace install will run closer to 7-10K installed depending on the trimmings.

That will help save a lot of labor, so maybe knock $2K off those estimates depending on stove or fireplace choice and time of year of purchase. Another brand you might look at if you can find a local dealer is Valcourt. It's made in Canada. I know nothing more about them outside of the literature and what has been promoted by member Fyrebug (SBI sales staff). They are made by a large reputable Canadian company, SBI, that also makes Osburn, Drolet, Enerzone, etc.. http://www.valcourtinc.com/product.aspx?CategoId=20&Id=551

Whatever your choice, take lots of pictures and keep us posted. Feel free to ask questions and remember clearance dimensions are given as minimums. It's fine to exceed them.

Thanks for all the info, it really is appreciated. I will probably hold off and do this in the spring and summer to get cheaper price on the firebox itself. Of course I could go ahead and fireproof the floor and walls, build the hearth etc...

Neighbors have a big family room (no more kids, but you know what I mean) that is an addition to their split level, very much open to the rest of their house. They have a big wood stove in the downstairs/basement of the split level, but upstairs in the far corner of the house they have an insert in the corner. Not sure why they didn't go free standing? But it's like a big shelf of a mantle in the corner, face of the insert is at a 45 degree angle. It is a fireplace insert, not sure on the construction of the actual 'fireplace' because above the mantle on the big shelf the stove pipe sticks up and goes up through the top of the mantle/shelf and through the roof. I think it looks pretty cool. Not sure how common an installation such as this is?? It is a river stone fireplace with big stone mantle.

I'm a big fan of the glass window of an insert!

I really like the BIS Panorama, but I am having a hard time locating a place to look at one, or just find a price of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.