Need advice and what to look for

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93green12v

Mar 3, 2010
Holland, NY
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My name is Chris and I have a few questions. I'm going to go look at a Hearthstone 2 woodstove made in 1981. What are common problem area's, things to look out for and a rough price range if possible. Thanks in advance.

That's a pretty old stove and won't be as efficient as a newer Hearthstone but still may be a good heater if it wasn't abused. Look for cracked stones and warped cast parts inside, it's a good sign of overfiring.

93green12v said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My name is Chris and I have a few questions. I'm going to go look at a Hearthstone 2 woodstove made in 1981. What are common problem area's, things to look out for and a rough price range if possible. Thanks in advance.

How much are they asking for the stove?

Yup, we all want to know that one. Reasong being, you can buy a brand new Heritage (the current model) for a net cost of about $2000 when you figure the tax rebate you can get with it. So, would I buy an old Hearthstone 2 for $500 right now? Sure (if I didnt work at a fireplace store where I could buy new at cost) Would I buy one for $1000? Maybe, if I couldnt afford a new one. Would I buy one for $1300..nope, I'd do everything I could to buy a new stove and get that tax credit

Franks said:
Would I buy one for $1000? Would I buy one for $1300

No to both. You can find a slightly used Heritage made in the last 5 years for under $1500. Found mine for $1000.

BrowningBAR said:
Franks said:
Would I buy one for $1000? Would I buy one for $1300

No to both. You can find a slightly used Heritage made in the last 5 years for under $1500. Found mine for $1000.

Forgot about that possibility. If I could get a brand new Heritage for $2000 net after tax credit with the lifetime warranty, I'd probably not go with a slightly used on unless it was under $1300ish. You finding one for a grand is a steal. So, yeah. What Browning said, there may be no good reason to buy a used H2 unless it was in the 500 dollar range. Much better off waiting to find a steal on a used Heritage like he did.

The guy is asking 175 bucks for it. So it seems to me its too good to be true but I'll find out saturday. I'm trying to put a woodstove in my house that doesn't have one since I've moved in so, trying to keep it fairly inexpensive but not piss away money. So trying to aviod buying old junk or a fire hazard.

93green12v said:
The guy is asking 175 bucks for it. So it seems to me its too good to be true but I'll find out saturday. I'm trying to put a woodstove in my house that doesn't have one since I've moved in so, trying to keep it fairly inexpensive but not piss away money. So trying to aviod buying old junk or a fire hazard.

What size is your house? The old H2's were smaller than the modern day Heritage. For some reason 42k BTUs comes to mind, but I do not know if that is accurate. It also has shorter burn times then the Heritage. Something to really think about when it comes to that stove.

$175 is great, but if it doesn't heat the house it is a wasted $175.

What is your budget for the stove? Are you doing the install yourself?

My house at most is 1200 sq ft. Budget wise haven't really sat down and thought about it. If I could got away with doing all of it for 1,000 or less I'd be very happy. Another reason trying to keep it on the cheaper side, the wife is somewhat against the wood stove idea so the less I have into it the better. That way if she wants it gone its not a few thousand down the drain. Ya I'd be doing the work myself unless it got over my head.

Before you buy a stove do some serious looking at what you need for a chimney, what that will cost and the work involved.

I do understand that there is a far amount of work involved with putting in a chimney, hearth pad and having it obey the fire codes. All of which I'm willing to do. I have everything else for firewood as far as saw's, a splitter and a free wood supply. I've grown up with a woodstove and just love the heat that they produce.

175 is not to bad. when i bought mine used it needed to be rebuilt. you have to look at the inside. the baffle (curved metal plat at the top of the firebox) and the worst should be the fireback( the metal plate inside on the back wall with the big H in the middle) that plate seems to take alot of abuse over years of burning and not cleaning out the ash buildup behind it. it cracks. if your lucky you'll get 5 hours out of it if the stove is jammed one end to the other with oak. most of my burns have been in the 4 hour range. if you burn it hot 550 to 600 that's what i get and it's not a creosote maker. it has a earlysecondary burner in it. that is the other thing that tends to warp or melt the secondary air tube with all the small 1/4 inch holes in it. all in all it's a good stove but has a small firebox.

Thanks for the input... So I went ahead and bought it. Took a friend of mine that has one and he said if I wouldn't of bought it he would have, so its in great shape. The stones aren't cracked nothing is wraped everything is all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.