Need Advice Avalon Olympic Insert instead of a wood hearth stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ann, could post some photos after you are done? I am thinking I may paint mine but I want to know if the paint works. I may wait after your have used it for a spell first. Last year was my first insert and we used it 24/7 for heat and it kept house toasty all year long. We got ours used like you did, but ours didn't have the rust you have on the top like yours has.

Robert

Sure, I will post pictures when I am all done. My goal is for it to just look awesome!

picked up the proper grit sandpaper last night at the hardware store. hand sanding here the top here goal is to paint next week weather man says it will be 75 degrees next week picked up my annual bulk apple purchase of 4 bushels, so trying to can apples and get stove finished too. Deer archery season started here in KY, so I can't hold intelligent wood stove conversations with any males in the family. Hoping to have the stove painted and put it in next weekend.

I was thinking of getting one of these "movers dolly" to set the stove on and roll across the room from door to fireplace. They are only 10.00 at Harbor Freight and says they will hold 1000 pounds. Thought it might help save backs on the install. I can borrow a really old regular dolly from my dad. I thought if I put the weight on 4 wheels instead of 2 it would be less likely to make marks on the floor. The floor is a vinyl laminated planking floor that looks like hardwood. (love it! can just mop up the mud from the country life) I didn't want to leave tracks on the floor and think it will be too hard to carry the stove from the door to the fireplace area.

wish I had it hooked up this morning. It's 42 degrees outside and a fire to knock off the chill in the house would be awesome!!

Attachments

• image_11835.jpg
    image_11835.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 937
I'd considered one of those furniture type carts for moving mine too. The problem I have with them is that the whole cart sits under neath the stove, and the bottom panel is not as stout like the top or main stove box. If you had a cart that was as wide as the stove, where the wheels sit out closer to the edge of the bottom I think it would be fine, or alternatively if you got a couple of these you would probably be fine.

My Olympic install is not moving very quickly either, the flexi liner maker ended up being back-ordered on insulation, so they haven't even built it yet. Order not supposed to be done until next Wednesday, likely not to get it until the following week......running out of time here!

steve

I did not write the but it seems sense:

Get you some PVC above ground winter pipe (thick walled pvc). These come in 8 foot sections (any many other sizes) and are pretty cheap (get 4 of them). Like 3-5 bucks each. Cut them down with a hand saw or any type of saw. Into 16" sections. Lift one side and kick in as many as you can. Then lift and kick some more. Lift the other side. Kick some in there as well.

Then make a trail of the rest of the cut offs spaced about 9 inchest apart going the way you would like to go. Stopping and picking up the used rollers then placing them along your trail.

Lets us know if it works.

Robert

Hi All,
Just wanted to start at least posting an update on the Olympic Avalon stove/insert we bought. I got it all sanded and painted. It really looks nice painted!! used the special high temp paint from Travis industries. Painted it outside on a beautiful warm Fall day.
I took out the firebricks to try to make the stove easier to move. we thoroughly shop vacuumed out the inside before putting the firebrick back in. Used the diagram for the bricks in the owners manual.
I got the stove hooked up the chimney liner. I had to destroy the block off plate since I changed the angle of the chimney liner. No other way to do it. I still need to redo the block off plate. I got the metal material for the block off plate from the place I got the chimney liner. They cut it for me, and we fine tuned it here. What material or source could I use for new material for the block off plate? I was planning on making a cardboard template first of the block off plate.
I have the surround that came with the stove, but I thought I it would hold a lot of heat behind the surround instead of letting it come out into the room. So I am leaning toward the block off plate idea. I have the blower on the stove and it works fine. It is a little noisy like other people have commented.
We have used the stove some and so far I really like it! I like watching the flames--you can see what is going on inside there without opening the door. I have a stove thermometer on top of the stove. I think I have had it to 500 so far. It put out plenty of heat at 500. I like having the choice of a small fire, or a bigger one. Training the family how to use it.
I will try to get some pics on here soon. Been really busy here with 4 children still at home, a small farm and a son who got deployed to Kuwait. Guess who has to handle paying all his bills and keeping that part straight too? I am so thankful to have the Olympic, and it looks like it is going to be a good fit for our family. More to come later!

Good to hear that you and your family are enjoying the warmth Ann. In another week or so it will be even more appreciated. Winter is getting ready to blow across the country. I'd love to see some pics when you get a chance to post them and will look forward to seeing them.

We have the Avalon Ranier...the little brother to the Olympic. Ours sits mostly out onto the hearth....we ran 2 years without the blower, and are currently starting our 2nd year with it. I can tell ya that the blower made a world of difference in our stoves performance....but it is pretty darn noisey....good thing it's at the other end of the house. Our home is a 1,700 sq.ft. Split Level Ranch, and it keeps it warm thru the winter months......when we bought it new 4 years ago, it was $2,800 installed, without the blower

Ann, here a hint, this year I order a set of the three tubes if (when) they fail. They are fine now but if you need them now you will take a month to get from Travis. You get a cool tool to install them it and the three tubes. I may paint mine next year.

1. How many cans did you use need?
2. Did you paint the insert AND the door AND the surround?
3. Did you get new door and glass gaskets?

Robert

Hi All,
Sorry so long for the update on the Avalon Olympic stove. Been super busy here with family and a son in Kuwait with the military. Mom is in charge of his stuff over here like bills, etc.
Well, I really like the stove and it is a good fit for us! I did paint it. Travis Industries uses the stove bright paint, but it is a special color of a metallic (barely) black. The paint came from them. I can't remember if i had 2 or 3 small cans. They are 3 oz. each. I had what I had and it was exactly enough. I did paint the back of the stove to help keep it from any damage, maybe I should have skipped that or used a high heat black from the hardware store. The Stove Bright number is 6303, but you can only get it through Travis Industries. I think it is a good paint. I did the little fires first for break in fires. I think if you are painting the entire stove, The Stove Bright black would be fine. I took the door off and took the glass out to paint it. Wasn't bad to do. I had hand sanded the stove and wiped it all off before painting. I had to do it on the little bit each day plan, but we finally got it finished!
the stove is a good stove. In my picture you can see the Farberware pot on top. I put 3/4 to 1 gallon of water a day in that. In never boils, but you occasionally see a little steam come off. The humidity in my home is currently at 46% on top of the piano on the other side of the room. I think it helps.
Originally the stove had a fireplace grate in it. We used it like that at first, but I took it out. I like it better with it out. I'm not sure why they had it in there.
Like another poster on a different thread, I took out all the firebrick to move it. We did use the furniture dolly to go across the living room floor. It is a hard surface floor so that was easy. My sons said it is really heavy putting it in. The guy we got it from had 2 leveling bolts in the bottom, so we ended up turning it on its side to remove them. It really didn't hurt the paint job.
It was a tight fit and 1/2 inch more on the width and it wouldn't have happened. It helped I had made a brown paper bag template and played with that a lot.
The stove has been able to keep up with the cold outside. I was afraid it wouldn't be able to when it was 20 degrees out. We just had to keep feeding it. I got up once in the night to throw more wood in. I don't mind, just trying to keep the children warm and not spend $$!
I also put a little doorway fan in the hall way to move air down the hall. Noisy, but works. Stove is not as cleaned up as I would like it to be for a picture, but I kept forgetting to take a picture. The stove door glass seems to get real dirty if you cut the air back a lot overnight. Need to clean it again. Used some stuff from Rutland, and I thought it worked pretty well. Thanks for all the advice and help!! I sure appreciate it!!

Attachments

• Avalon Olympic Installed 2011 Large Web view.jpg
    Avalon Olympic Installed 2011 Large Web view.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,043
  • door frame fan in hall Large Web view.jpg
    door frame fan in hall Large Web view.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 576
Status
Not open for further replies.