Need Advice: Choosing Fireplace Insert and Cleaning Stone in a Historic Home - VC Winter Warm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfalk

Aug 27, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Hi. We are looking for some advice on choosing a woodburning fireplace insert and cleaning fireplace stone. We hope you experienced folks on this site can offer some suggestions.

My wife and I purchased a 1920’s English Tudor which we are restoring (ourselves). As much as possible, we are trying to preserve its original architectural character. We have been looking at putting an insert into the existing fireplace to help heat the living room. See attached picture. We are also working on cleaning the hearth stone, retuckpointing, and replacing the floor stone with tile appropriate for the period of the house (we are part way through this process as shown in the picture).

Ideally, we would like to purchase an insert that can heat through the night, that has a fan (quiet as possible), and that is inconspicuous. We are also trying to avoid using a square surround that will cover the arched stone shown in the photo. To achieve this, we are considering hiring a blacksmith to build a custom surround (which would set back in the opening), possibly fabricating a new door as well as hand-forged decorative elements (branches, leaves) to match the other iron hardware and lighting in the house.

So, the bottom line is that we are looking for a high performance/high quality insert that we can modify the front of to match the architecture of the house. Rather than having the insert being the focal point of the living room, we are trying to make it as inconspicuous as possible.

Our dilemma is that we have searched the web and most inserts either won’t fit in the opening (29” floor to keystone) or stick too far out into the room.

The stove that comes the closest (and will fit) is the Vermont Castings Winter Warm Small Insert, however after reading some of the negative experiences with VC inserts on this site, we are hesitant. Also, we have been unable to look at the VC insert as we can’t find a dealer that has one on display (we have called all dealers within 100 miles of our hometown, Madison, Wisconsin).

Some Questions:

1) What is the current opinion of the VC Winter Warm Small Insert? Any owners out there who can give their experiences? Also, any opinions/experiences with modifying this or other types of inserts?
2) Anyone know of other inserts that don’t have the fan in the front of the unit? We have looked at VC, Morso, Regency, Jotul, Vista, Morgan, Enviro…..
3) Does anyone know of a custom insert builder out there that could build something for us?
4) Finally, I have been trying to clean the 80 years of soot off the sandstone hearth….having good luck with TSP and elbow grease on most of the stone, however some are very stubborn to remove. Any suggestions on the next step to remove the grey soot? Acid?

Thanks in advance. This is a great site. Bob& Grace, Madison, Wisconsin

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0234.JPG
    tn_IMG_0234.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 471
Beautiful fireplace btw,

As far as custom making or modifying inserts there are a couple of issues. The EPA certifies new inserts so custom fabrication is out of the question, modification of existing stoves will void there warranty. I'm sure others will chime in shortly regarding your situation, but these are hindrances to your current predicament.

If you're not set on an insert, you could expand the hearth pad in front of the fireplace and possibly get wood stove that vents up the chimney. Some manufacturers like jotul have classic lines and make short leg kits so the stove would sit closer to the ground so the stove pipe clear the chimney.

Nice fireplace. FYI - Some good old house websites: oldhouseweb.com, oldhousejournal.com, gardenweb.com, houseinprogress.net & hereandthere.org/oldhouse/index.shtml.

Have you considered the Hearthstone "Morgan" insert? It's more expensive (it costs about $2,200.00 or so) but it puts out more BTUs and can heat a larger area. However, if I recall correctly the dimensions may be smaller, so if the Vermont Castings Winter Warm (small) would fit, this should too; and I believe the fans are on the side.

There is a veteran member here (Rhonemas) that advises it will perform better if you pull it out about 5" so the blowers are reaching into the room but if aesthetics are more important you could probably place it so it is flush and focus on having an arched surround fabricated with the decorative elements you would like to try and blend everything together.

Regardless of whether it would void the warranty or whether the EPA would allow it, I wouldn't mess around with the door.

Good luck and keep us posted.
~Cath

Welcome,
Have you thought about putting a small hearth stove in front of the opening? Then you wouldn't have to custom make a surround and the stone would be visible. Also probably woudn't need a blower since the stove will stick out. Maybe a VC Intrepid II or Woodstock stove would look nice in front?

I would avoid any direct modification of the stove, but the surround can be modified easily to fit your fireplace.

29" high is quite high and there are many inserts that will fit that height as long as the other dimensions will allow.

Look at Country stoves. They have a sort of arched door that might work.

Also, the Lopi Declaration is a flush mount stove that would look good there also. The surround of the Declaration could be easily modified to fit your opening.

Thanks to all for the information....looks like the Lopi Delaration may work.....I have a call in to the local dealer to see what the price is. If anyone out there has experience with the Declaration, I would appreciate your opinion (I did check the product review section and the one submittal indicated a positive review). Thanks, Bob

Welcome Bob. That is a really beautiful fireplace. It should have something quite special installed in it. The first insert that comes to mind is the Hampton Hi 300. It will require extending the hearth, but that is not the end of the world. It can be done tastefully to look like it is an intentional border.

If you choose to preserve the look and put in a freestanding stove, I can certainly appreciate that. There are several stoves that would look sharp in there, depending on the style you prefer. In general, the more it can extend into the room, the better it will heat. But some have fans that can get around that need. A stove will need a hearth extension as well, but some have minimal requirements because of bottom ashpans and heat shielding.

rfalk said:
Thanks to all for the information....looks like the Lopi Delaration may work.....I have a call in to the local dealer to see what the price is. If anyone out there has experience with the Declaration, I would appreciate your opinion (I did check the product review section and the one submittal indicated a positive review). Thanks, Bob
GREAT STOVE. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.