Need advice for a Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewwoodBurner

Oct 31, 2013
Ohio
I am looking to purchase my very first wood burning stove (and home for that matter). It is a small (1000 sq ft), old (98 yo) farmhouse. I hope to use whatever stove I purchase to be used as a primary heat source, with oil as a backup.
I have narrowed down my current choices to the Lopi Leyden, VC Encore, and Quadra Fire Isle Royale. These choices are based on both looks and function. Looks are important, as this will be a primary piece of the family room.
Any insight or advice is welcomed.

Welcome to the forum NewwoodBurner.

At only 1000 sq ft it should not take a large stove but I'm picturing a 98 year old farmhouse as a two story home. That can change everything if you want to heat the whole house. Also, it will depend upon insulation, windows, etc.

You want a good looking stove and a good functioning stove as looks are important. So why not buy a stove that would fit in like a fine piece of furniture and look as good in the summer as winter? A few stoves in the Woodstock line would really fit in nicely to your description. We have the Fireview but probably most would recommend the Keystone for you. The Keystone is a little smaller but still puts out good heat. You'd get a little longer burn perhaps from the Fireview.

We put ours in 6 years ago so we're starting in on our 7th year with the stove. Comparing it to our older and larger stove, we cut our wood needs in half with this stove. In addition, it keeps us a lot warmer and we keep our old house to 80 and above all winter long on 3 cord of wood. The stove is really easy to operate and easy to maintain. Occasionally the catalyst needs to be cleaned and some put this as a bad thing. However, it takes 2-3 minutes to do it and is easy enough that a child could do it easily. So far for maintenance we have replaced one gasket and have replaced the cat. That is very low maintenance on any stove. Also, with the soapstone stove, the heat feels much different and never feels harsh. They say it is a soft heat and I did not understand that at all until we got our stove. It is indeed a soft heat. Give them a call at 800-866-4344 or look up the web site at www.woodstove.com

Good luck.

Well...is budget an issue? Clearances? Do you want a front, side, top load? How long of a burn time do you need?

Personally, I LOVE the look of the Woodstock stoves backwoods is suggesting. We didn't have the clearances needed for one though.

wood, ya got some wood? Dry, seasoned wood? enough to heat for the season? Just as important as choosing 1 of 3 stoves you listed.Just saying...and welcome to the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.