Need advice for backup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe117

Feb 26, 2011
SW CT
Based mostly on everyone's remarks from this site I'm putting in a new gassifier (Effecta or Tarm most likely) with the automated Lambda controls, 1000 gallons of storage and installing radiant panels. I need to have backup when I'm away for the day and during the cool spring and fall months when I dont have afire. I live in CT. Wood is free. Just bough the house. I can wait a few months to move in. I have been considering oil, propane and electric as backup heat. Please help me decide!!!!!!

- The problem with oil is I need the flue for the wood boiler and I dont like what I've read about direct venting an oil boiler. They go WAYYY up in price when you get the very efficient and better direct venting models. I currently have an burst oil boiler and about 200 gals of oil in the tank

- I like the propane direct vent boilers with variable heat but.... I would need to buy a underground propane tank, propane is very expensive in my area and has less than 70% the BTU per gallon.

- I like the idea of an electric tankless heater. They are very cheap to buy and install. The cost per btu would be the highest but I may not need it very often. This would seem to be the easiest to maintain and not cost much more than propane after all costs considered.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks Joe

Any advice is welcome.

If the oil fired unit is ok, I would have it checked out and tuned. For back up it should be fine. A new chimney for your gasser would be more efficient. They don't get along with certain masonry chimneys. Check the tech specs for the optimum chimney set up.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.