Need advice Harman P38+ VS Enviro Evolution/EF2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye316

Dec 8, 2007
Amsterdam, ny
This one is for my father. He will be heating a older capecod house. About 800 sq ft curently baseboard heat and a electric water heater. These are the 2 quotes

1. Harman P38+
Harman 1700
hopper 150
trim 150
sub 2000
install 800
total w/tax 3024

2. Enviro Evolution or a EF2

stove 1900
install 475
total 2375
w/ tax 2565 with the EF2 add 200 for a floor board

need something simple and dependable. Any advice on this would be great

I thought the evolution was a nice stove. I only sold one or two of them, we picked Enviro up right before I left the shop. It had all the bells and whistles of the more expensive stoves and had a smaller footprint didn't need the large hearthpad. I think that stove would serve you well. So would the harman for 500 bucks more. Unless Rod, or someone else, with more experience with the evolution has any input, then I'd say go for it based on your pricing.

Shane said:
I thought the evolution was a nice stove. I only sold one or two of them, we picked Enviro up right before I left the shop. It had all the bells and whistles of the more expensive stoves and had a smaller footprint didn't need the large hearthpad. I think that stove would serve you well. So would the harman for 500 bucks more. Unless Rod, or someone else, with more experience with the evolution has any input, then I'd say go for it based on your pricing.

the EF 2 is a good solid easy to use stove with no extras

I did not know they still made the evalution/EF5

I guess Im wrong I found it on the price sheet.
are you sure they are giving you a NEW evalution/EF5 for $1900?
Snip from my price list from AES
EF5 Evolution Pellet Freestanding Stove
45,000 BTU ~ 83% efficiency rating ~ large hopper lid for easy access ~ 80 lb. hopper capacity ~ heavy duty heat exchanger ~ large, full pedestal
ash pan ~ fully automatic control system ~ silent mode operation ~ covered, easy to use controls ~ easy clean ports for low maintenance ~ on/
off or high/low thermostat compatible ~ remote control compatible ~ easy lift off door ~ Uses 3” vent.
Unit comes complete with door and painted side panels. Optional stainless steel side panels and hopper lid.
Item No. Description Retail
SIEF5FSCB EF5 Evolution Freestanding Pellet Stove $2,538.00

The price they gave me on the evolution is 2399 and i talked them to 2200. Because My dad is getting the evolution and im getting the omega. Plus were right nextdoor to each other. Also they are delivering pellets. 65 for delivery and 210 a ton (new england). they gave us a great deal on the stoves and installation. The Harman dealer was pretty set on there price. Also the enviro dealer has 2 shops in the area. Which gave me alittle more confidence in the dealer.

Oh
you had 1900 in the price on your first post.
I have only had one experiance with the EF5 when they first came out.
I connected it up in my store and it did not work
It must have been made on a Friday before a holiday weekend at 5Oclock because it had most of the wires connected wrong and had a Major air leak so I sent it back and took it off my list and out of mind.

I know they are better now for they are the same Guts as the Meridian but a larger version of the Mini with a 85# hopper.
In my parts people dont like the uero look.

I think the price is right take the EF5 over the EF2. because of the larger heating capacity
Larger Hopper. and Control board that you can have a Thermostat on.

I couldn't sell you that stove at that price. My margins are not that good to drop the price that much.
With the service We have to give NEWBIES with pellet stove I have to make 30% to pay for Staff, Trucks, tools, Insurance and a showroom.

Hey Hearthtools, folks that are losing money don't know it until a couple years later. Do you think Harman knew they would be unable to service and continue without selling the ship?

There is always someone (especially mail-order) willing to sell for less, sometimes $200 over cost. But as we saw in that other thread, Zoobler told that fella "no satisfaction" when his stove sooted up the house.....

Hey, but there is a glut of pellet stoves on the market right now (look how the Harman prices have dropped) and folks know if they don't move them now, they will have to hold them over the summer. A different market, perhaps here in the east where the warehouses are full (at the dealers, manufacturers and distributors).

As a business plan, I would be very surprised if (for instance) a store selling Pellet stoves (only or mostly) could survive on 30%, because we ran a low overhead business and our costs were often more than that (rent, employees, insurance, etc.)....But, heck, the end user/customer does not usually have to worry about that stuff. As a customer, I don't care if they made 10 cents off my Big Screen TV! So that is "dealer talk".

Sounds like a decent deal, deadeye, but make certain the dealer has a service dept and ask about their warranty policies, etc. - Pellet stoves often need some initial adjustment and hand holding (just look at the Forum here!), and you want to make sure they answer the phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.