Need advice in installing new Drolet Heatmax II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pblanton

Oct 9, 2019
Black Forest, Colorado
My installation is going to be a little different than most.

About 80% of my house is heated with a natural gas powered electronic boiler, and radiant in-floor pex tubing. Works great.

There is no furnace in the house. The boiler is in the basement, but the existing ductwork doesn't go to the basement. The existing ducts USED TO BE connected to an ELECTRIC furnace installed OUTSIDE, on a 100 Amp sub-panel. It was installed in the early eighties. When we bought the house one of the first things I did was to RIP OUT the energy gobbling heat demon, throw it away and plug the heat ducts with plywood, and a can of spray foam. For the past four years we have heated that end of the house with a terribly inefficient wood stove. This summer we had our roof redone, and pulled out ALL of the inefficient fireplaces and wood stoves, and plugged the roof holes.

Recently I bought a Drolet HeatMax II that I plan on installing in that end of the house and using the in-floor ductwork to duct the heat around the various rooms. I expect to route the chimney straight up the wall, through the inside of the house, through about three feet of vaulted ceiling / attic above it, and out the top. There is a three foot roof overhang in the back so the chimney will have to go through the attic no matter if I plumb it up the inside, or go out the wall and then go up, so it seems cheaper to just go straight up the inside.

The cold air return and the heated air ducts come up through the concrete floor inside a wooden enclosure, bend and go outside, where they are blocked off.

The plan is to rip out the existing bookcases around that wooden enclosure, and build a steel frame that the Drolet sits on top of. It'll pull air in through the duct on the right, and push hot air out through the duct on the left.

I plan on building a nice cabinet around it so that the front of the Drolet is visible, but the ductwork underneath, above, and next to it, is covered up. After all, this is living space and, according to my wife, an industrial installation is contra-indicated.

I could just build a closet around it, but I think the glass door with a fire in it, and the front of the Drolet furnace is kind of pretty an I'd like it to be visible during operation.

Here are some pictures of my mess...

IMG_20191009_151202.jpg

The existing ducts seem to be 16" in diameter. Please excuse the mouse poop. You never want to run ducts through the wall to the outside. Whomever thought this was a good idea should be horse-whipped.

IMG_20191009_151147.jpg

The cold air return stuffed full of insulation, and my foot for perspective.

IMG_20191009_151213.jpg

The registers. There are six.

IMG_20191009_151229.jpg

First thing I'd do is to break out the manual and study all the CTC (clearance to combustibles) very closely...your install sounds like it might be tough to meet specs.
And then the next hurdle will be those ducts in/under the floor...hot air furnaces need to be able to gravity heat in the event of a power outage...ducts going downward make a heat trap. The only way I know of around it would be to install an emergency heat dump in the plenum. http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACEACCESSORIES/SAFETYHEATDUMP/tabid/200/Default.aspx Not sure how Drolet would feel about all this...
And the next issue may be the heat loss from the ducts into the floor...not sure, but I know others that have ducts that run through cold areas have been disappointed with the results.