Need advice. New to wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ro560

Aug 22, 2022
Brooklyn, ct
Hi, we are new to heating with a wood stove. We are looking at a Kuma Ashwood LE. We live in a single story L-shaped ranch and plan on putting the stove on the main floor and use it as the main source of heat. Like I said, we are new to this and afraid to jump in and spend this money and find it doesn't heat well enough. We are in North East Connecticut (unfortunately).

Welcome. Ranch homes can be tricky to heat, especially far-end bedrooms. If the floorplan is open, it should heat the main area ok with the bedrooms a bit cooler.
Can you post a sketch of the floor plan that shows doorways and windows?

Quick rough sketch

Need advice. New to wood stoves

I would be inclined to locate the stove between the slider and the master bath x from the kitchen...

Reactions: stoveliker
I live in a ranch.. I heat perfectly fine with the wood.stove as may main heat source.. I like the bedroom cooler anyway.. Just make sure the stove is large enough. If you considering wood heat you need to get your wood asap as dry wood is hard to come by.. if wood is going to be your heat youll nee 3 to 4 cords for a heating season... probably more towards 4..

I think that is one of the best layouts of a ranch home for wood heating that I've ever seen. No hallways, all off of the main (warm) room.

Reactions: Ashful
That helps. The floorplan is more like an open T than a typical ranch. It will heat more evenly. I think you'll be fine with the Kuma as long as it gets fully seasoned, dry firewood. Try to locate the stove somewhat centrally if possible.