Need advice on a controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Ascherl

Jun 6, 2010
Hinckley, Ohio
My system will have 4 house zones (Zone valves) a hot tub zone and a future zone for the garage. I have a circulator for the zones and a circulator for the EKO 40. I have one aquastat and an additional zone valve between the storage tanks and boiler (that i'm not sure I even need). My electric boiler will run independent of the WB so that is not in the equation. A friend suggested I use the Taco SR506 switching relay to run the system. Is this a good suggestion? Any tips? Also, I installed the two way zone valve between the storage and boiler so it would close when the house circulator and EKO circulator are running to prevent the water from going into the storage. What are the thoughts on it? Is it necessary?

Attachments

• EKO5 002.JPG
    EKO5 002.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 161
I almost put in a SR506 but decided to go with the Honeywell AQ series instead. It is has a lot of features that the Taco doesn't and is about the same price I think. You may have to get special thermostats, the first edition required them but later ones will work with most electronics. The advantage to going with the Honeywell stat is that it displays the outdoor temperature and also offers freeze protection because it communicates the room temperature directly to the controller and can in fact be adjusted remotely. I'm really happy with ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.